GFI or ARC FAULT? Bedrooms in basement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mudcat555

Mentor, Ohio (25 miles east of Cleveland)
Occupation
Retired Electrician IBEW Local 38
This is the first time I've come across this situation. The customer is putting two bedrooms down in the basement. The code says all basement outlets are to be GFI protected, but it also says that all power in the bedroom has to be on an AFC. Do I put the bedroom circuits on arc fault breakers, and then use a GFI in each bedroom for one receptacle and piggy-back the remaining receptacles on the load side of the GFI? Given the over-sensivity associated with some arc-fault breakers, will a GFI on that circuit cause any nuisance tripping? What have others done in this situation?

iwire

Staff member
GFCIs can be installed on AFCI circuits ....... but you don't have to. The NEC does not require GFCIs in the finished areas of a basement.

mcclary's electrical

You only need GFI's in an UNFINISHED basement,,,,,,,,so your bedrooms added to a basement will require both arc faults and smoke detectors, but no GFI's. You probably should add a common area smoke detetector outside of the two rooms. They should be interconnected upstairs.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Do I put the bedroom circuits on arc fault breakers, and then use a GFI in each bedroom for one receptacle and piggy-back the remaining receptacles on the load side of the GFI?
As the guys said, no GFCI's are needed here, but the way you described it is perfect when both are needed.

M. D.

GFCIs can be installed on AFCI circuits ....... but you don't have to. The NEC does not require GFCIs in the finished areas of a basement.

Perhaps this should be it's own thread but I saw this About a week or two ago ,. and it is bugging me. Has anyone seen where a GFCI rec. outlet is marked as incompatible with an AFCI protected circuit
In situations calling for both GFCI and AFCI protection, be sure the breaker is specifically listed for the dual purpose of both fault situations. Many GFCI outlets are not compatible for installation on AFCI protected branch circuits.

http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache...ensions+GFCI+on+AFCI&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

boltneck

ive wondered what makes a "finished" area

what if the walls are drywalled but the floor is left concrete or stained

boltneck

what im saying is when is the area finished?

receptacles are required to be gfci protected in unfinished areas

is it considerd finished when its ...
insulated?
drywalled?
painted?
has floor covering?
when?

Status
Not open for further replies.