GFI problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had my plus tester in and was showing a hot neutral reverse issue and the circuit wasn't even on. After some trouble shooting I found that the other circuit that was on going to the GFI, the GFI was bad and was leaking the voltage right into the neutral wire and I was getting 120v from neutral to ground off the GFI. So obviously the neutral is bad. Before I found this, I knew I had voltage to the neutral from somewhere, so I was checking continuity between the neutral and the other circuits it came into contact with. I read no continuity between any of the circuits. The way it was explained to me is that because there is a coil inside the GFI, I will not real continuity, but that doesn't seem accurate to me. Is there someone who can explain this to me and make sense.

zog

beachbumjeremy said:
I had my plus tester in and was showing a hot neutral reverse issue and the circuit wasn't even on. After some trouble shooting I found that the other circuit that was on going to the GFI, the GFI was bad and was leaking the voltage right into the neutral wire and I was getting 120v from neutral to ground off the GFI. So obviously the neutral is bad. Before I found this, I knew I had voltage to the neutral from somewhere, so I was checking continuity between the neutral and the other circuits it came into contact with. I read no continuity between any of the circuits. The way it was explained to me is that because there is a coil inside the GFI, I will not real continuity, but that doesn't seem accurate to me. Is there someone who can explain this to me and make sense.

So you have a GFCI problem, not a GFI problem correct?? So, what do you define "continuity" as?

JohnJ0906

It is possible you have an open neutral, with a load downstream. This will read as voltage between neutral and the EGC.
Remove the GFCI while you test - I don't think that is the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.