gfi protection for a 240 volt pool motor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

otm126

I have fully read section 680 of the code book. Is it my understanding that if I hardwire a pool motor that is 240 volts, not cord and plug connected, it does not require GFI protection? The 2-pole switch is located more than 10 feet away, as required. Also, does anyone know the best way to bond rigid conduit to the pool bond? I was going to use a water clamp but I am afraid its not rated for outdoor. I don't want to fail inspection. I would greatly appreciate the help!!!!!

hurk27

Re: gfi protection for a 240 volt pool motor?

Why are you trying to bond the RMC to the pool bond? if the RMC is connected to the pump motor then just run the bond from the bonding lug that is provides on the side of the pool motor to the pool bonding the rest of the metal that is required to be bonded. There is no requirment to make any other bonds as the EGC (RMC) is already bonded to the pump. The reasone for the pool bond is not to supply a ground back to the main panel. It is to remove any voltage potential between any metal that is in the pool location. If there is a short in the pool pump it will be the RMC and OCPD that has the job of clearing it. Not the pool bond. There should be a lug somwhere on the pump for this connection.

mthead

680.26(B)(5)-Bonding-metal wiring methods and equipment-Metal sheathed cables and raceways,metal piping{r.m.c.]witin the specified distances,shall be bonded.Where joined by couplings a bonding jumper shall be provided around said coupling.
The rigid does not in itself satisfy bonding req..
That is how we would enforce it in N.Y..

hurk27

Mthead

I don't see anything in 680.26(B)(5)- that requires the bonding around coulpings or connectors? It just requirs metal pipeing to be bonded to the pool bonding, and that is what the lug on the pump motor is for. I would understand a requirment for a grounding bushing on a RMC if the KO's on the pump were concentric but other wise I just don't see it.

Maybe Im missing somthing

otm126

What I did was use a #8 solid to bond from the pool filter to the pool shell. I was worried that I would have to bond the RMC to this wire. The conduit is more than 5' from the pool. The RMC runs to a FS box for the 2 pole switch and there is a piece of 1/2" sealtight from the box to the filter. I would have to suppose this piece of sealtight would bond the pipe to the bond wire.I will see how I fair on inspection.
Thanks for the help!!!!!

hurk27

Otm Make sure you have installed an EGC as 680.21 (A) (1) says: Any wiring method employed shall contain a copper equipment grounding conductor sized in accordance with 250.122 but not smaller than 12 AWG

And it has to be insulated as 680.21 (A) (4) says: Where run in a raceway, the equipment grounding conductor shall be insulated.

Status
Not open for further replies.