GFI Protector for Industrial Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

tgfat

Does the Code require GFCI protection on a heater circuit for an open industrial tank with a 208V/1ph encased heater? The 120V control panel is GFCI protected as there are receptacles for auxiliary equipment for the process and the heater circuit runs through the control panel via a contactor for temperature control. The 4K heater circuit causes the 2-pole/20A GFCI breaker to trip due to initial resistance of 150K ohms to ground. This resistance to ground increases to 20M+ ohms as the heater operates and removes internal moisture due to humidity, which will then allow the GFCI CB to reset. Any thoughts??

pfalcon

Heater circuit is typically an internal circuit to the machine tool. GFI protection is for people. No requirement that I'm aware of.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I would expect that this heater is covered by Article 427. 427.22 requires GFP protection not GFCI protection. Typically the GFP device has a 30 mA trip point.

tgfat

I would expect that this heater is covered by Article 427. 427.22 requires GFP protection not GFCI protection. Typically the GFP device has a 30 mA trip point.

Thank you both for the quick responses.
427.22 speaks to heat trace and 'heating panel' - In your opinion, does the totally enclosed resistive heating element(s) under the tank qualify as a 'heating panel', thereby requiring GFP?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Thank you both for the quick responses.
427.22 speaks to heat trace and 'heating panel' - In your opinion, does the totally enclosed resistive heating element(s) under the tank qualify as a 'heating panel', thereby requiring GFP?

In my opinion it does.

Status
Not open for further replies.