GFI Recpt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
Re: GFI Recpt.

There is no NEC limit to how many outlets on the load side of a GFCI outlet.

Unless the manufacturers instructions set a limit, then you will have to follow that limit to comply with 110.3(B)

insptr

I would think it would depend if its on a 15 or 20 amp circuit. 180va per outlet I think it is.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Insptr, Bob is correct.

If we are in an area other than a dwelling, the 180va would need to be considered, but that wasn't the question.

Roger

iwire

Staff member

insptr, I took the question to relate to just how many outlets could be on the load side of a GFCI, not really how many on a circuit.

I probably should have said no limit to load side outlets other than the 180va requirement for commercial occupancy's.

Thanks Roger :)

[ October 16, 2003, 06:36 AM: Message edited by: iwire ]

mthead

Based on annecdotal evidence and personal experience --more than 5 recpt's on the load side of a gfi and you risk problems w/nuisance tripping.

charlie

I think that depends a lot on your installation practices. If you install your NM cable with just snug staples and do not make the runs parallel through the same holes or stapled together with other runs, you can go forever . . . well . . . sorta.

This reminds me of the barn I was working on in a rainy day. I picked up power from the house and ran 3 100 ft. #12 SO cords from the GFCI receptacle on the house to the barn. I taped the plugs and receptacles together with plastic tape, set them on some scrap lumber to keep them out of the water and worked all day with them. Yes, we used smaller cords in the barn.

The only thing I didn't like about the SO cord was that it was very heavy and looked like garden hose. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.