GFI requirements for house sale?

Occupation
Electrician
As an electrician, I used do lots of GFCI installations for home sales, but haven’t lately until recently. The bank is requiring GFCI protection for entire finished basement as per 2020 code. I’m used to bathrooms, kitchens, exterior etc, but this is first time I’ve seen requirements for 2020 code. Are you all seeing this now as well?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Are you saying that the mortgage lender is requesting GFCI protection to be brought up to the current code?

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Then the code cycle of that state in 1982 only has to be met.

If someone is requiring(?) something that's not required, that's silly.
So you have to change the range wiring to 4 wire, dryer wiring, etc???

Occupation
Electrician
Sure, but banks have been requiring gfi’s in bath, kitchen garage and outdoors forever, updating smoke detectors is also normal. I’m fully aware of pre-existing able to stick with codes that were existing per NEC, this is first time I’ve seen the bank requirement for expanded new requirements. Wondering if others have seen this and if it’s about to be the new normal. Fortunately 30 and 50a gfi breakers have come way down in price in the last year or so.

Occupation
Electrician
Yup, and for the past 20 years it has been 100% normal for me to go in after a home inspection, add gfi’s to kitchen, bath etc. maybe fix a reverse polarity and some double taps, to keep lender happy. This is the first time I’ve had a bank request more extensive gfi requirements. Mainly wondering if others have been seeing this, and if it is likely to be the new normal.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Around here it's uncommon. You might find a lender or insurance company that wants a Federal Pacific panel changed but that's about it. Most don't even inspect the property. In places like Florida where there must be a powerful insurance lobby they get away with all types of nonsense starting with 4 point inspections.

retirede

This is highly unusual. Here, the only things banks care about are the assessed value of the home and the creditworthiness of the borrower. Why? Banks rarely hold mortgages any more. They sell them to finance companies.

I don’t see why a bank would care about GFCIs.

Eddie702

Licensed Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
I am in MA around here if it is an older home the want kitchen counter bathrooms and outdoor receptacles and laundry if there is a sink. Maybe it has changed I am out of the loop.