gfis

Status
Not open for further replies.

southernboys

hey guys just a few questions about gfi receps. looking thru an old aprentice book of mine it states that if emt or flex is used then per 99 code it was not required to bond the recep this cant be true can it? another statement this book makes is that per ul listing backstab receps made after 1995 were allowed to acept only 14awg wire is this still true. alright now to why I was looking in this book trying to find a code that states I can only slave 3 receps off of my gfi I cant find one does one exist? the scenario I have is someone just put 7 kitchen receps on one ckt and wants to put in 7 gfi receps to me this is a little overkill as I would have pulled another ckt. there are 2 20a ckts pulled to kitchen. also just out of curiosity if I cant put a regular recep within 6 ft of a sink per 210.8[7] why is it that we can put a regular recep for the disposal under the sink or does 210.8[6] override 210.8[7]

Occupation
Inspector
Re: gfis

I would think the Instructions that come with the GFI will tell you how many receptacles you can have off the Load side, "slave".

Norb

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Southernboys,
old aprentice book of mine it states that if emt or flex is used then per 99 code it was not required to bond the recep this cant be true can it
see 250.146 in the 2002, there was no change in this section from the 99 wording, there are however some changes in the 05.

another statement this book makes is that per ul listing backstab receps made after 1995 were allowed to acept only 14awg wire is this still true.
Yes that is still true, if you can get a copy of the UL white book it will confirm this.

alright now to why I was looking in this book trying to find a code that states I can only slave 3 receps off of my gfi I cant find one does one exist?
As stated by 1793, this would only be limited by a manufacturers instructions.

also just out of curiosity if I cant put a regular recep within 6 ft of a sink per 210.8[7] why is it that we can put a regular recep for the disposal under the sink or does 210.8[6] override 210.8[7]
The GFI requirement for kitchens in 210.8(A)(6)is only for counter tops. I guess they think a wet bar as in 210.8(A)(7) would be constructed and used differently.

Roger

[ June 20, 2005, 06:58 PM: Message edited by: roger ]

southernboys

roger thank you for this informatioin I guess its true u learn something new every day. where can I get a ul white book?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Southernboys, you can buy it from UL, but there used to be an online link to it. I'll see if I can find it and let you know, or maybe someone else will chime in who knows where it is.

Roger

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

Without manufacturers specs to the contrary, the quantity of downstream receptacles is not limited by the GFCI, as they're rated for full circuit capacity for feed-through connection, even 20 amps for a 15-amp unit.

allenwayne

If not mistaken 05 cycle (WE are still under 02 and I haven`t gotten an 05 yet) it goes back to 6 ft rule of any sink not just a wet bar ??

Status
Not open for further replies.