GFPE Infrastructure Upgrade without equipment grounds?

Vsharp

Occupation
Journeyman electrician
I have project on a facility that has medium voltage customer owned substation feeding multiple building's with 480/277 wye. The facility was built in the 60's and very few detached building feeders have equipment grounds. The facility will soon be replacing all the substation switchgear which will require Gfpe protection per 230.95. Would the facility have to also re-pull all new equipment grounds or could either of the exemptions from 250.32(B)1 apply? There are concerns of the new ground fault protection not operating correctly.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If you're applying 250.32(B)(1)Exception #1 then the neutral would be bonded in the detached building panels just like a service. I don't see why that would affect the GFPE device which is monitoring downstream from the panel.

Welcome to the Forum. :)

Vsharp

Occupation
Journeyman electrician
Thank you! I was looking at condition (3) from exemption #1 - Ground fault protection of equipment has not been installed on the supply side of feeder(s).

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
Would the facility have to also re-pull all new equipment grounds
Are EGC's required at all, if conduit bonding integrity is confirmed per 250.97, 250.118

Or stepped down 3-phase class A GFCI, feeding convenience outlets per 210.8(B)(4) Ex.#2