GFPE protection Marinas

Xaverian93

Occupation
Master Electrician/Project Manager
I see according to 555.35A feeders need GFPE protection. Old code was either the feeder or individual breakers in the let’s say stanchion needed GFPE not both then was both needed it in 2020. Am I interpreting this correctly that if the feeder has GFPE protection feeding the power stanchion then the individual breakers in the stanchion don’t have to be?

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
Am I interpreting this correctly that if the feeder has GFPE protection feeding the power stanchion then the individual breakers in the stanchion don’t have to be?
Under the 2023 NEC 555.35 requires both the feeders and receptacles to be protected. However there is a higher 100ma threshold allowed for feeders, if you choose to protect you feeder at the lower 30ma level thats required for receptacles then you'd comply with both A and B with one feeder breaker. But I imagine you might get some nuisance trips if you have a large amount of boats on one feeder.

Xaverian93

Occupation
Master Electrician/Project Manager
I see according to 555.35A feeders need GFPE protection. Old code was either the feeder or individual breakers in the let’s say stanchion needed GFPE not both then was both needed it in 2020. Am I interpreting this correctly that if the feeder has GFPE protection feeding the power stanchion then the individual breakers in the stanchion don’t have to be?
Under the 2023 NEC 555.35 requires both the feeders and receptacles to be protected. However there is a higher 100ma threshold allowed for feeders, if you choose to protect you feeder at the lower 30ma level thats required for receptacles then you'd comply with both A and B with one feeder breaker. But I imagine you might get some nuisance trips if you have a large amount of boats on one feeder.
Totally makes sense. I agree with the nuisance tripping. I put in a 100ma for the feeder and 30ma for the individual branch circuits last dock job and my boss thought it was over kill

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator: