Give 100%

Status
Not open for further replies.

GG

How many agree with this quote from Electrical Wiring Residential by Ray C. Mullin, 2005, pg.559. "The NEC permits 100% loading on an overcurrent device ONLY if that overcurrent device is listed for 100% loading. See NEC 210.20 & 215.3. At the time of this writing, UL has NO listing of residential-type molded case CB's that are suitable for 100% loading. A max. loading of 80% is good practice - less is even better!".

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Re: Give 100%

Okay, I'll bite.

I agree, with the caveat that the statement: "At the time of this writing, UL has NO listing of residential-type molded case CB's that are suitable for 100% loading." is true.

Now, having said that, there's no real opinion given here, only fact. What's to disagree with?

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by GG:
How many agree with this quote from Electrical Wiring Residential by Ray C. Mullin, 2005, pg.559. "The NEC permits 100% loading on an overcurrent device ONLY if that overcurrent device is listed for 100% loading.
I do not agree.

The NEC and UL allows 100% loading of any overcurrent device up to 2 hours, 59 minutes and 59 seconds. :D

GG

I can remeber a long thread a while back where everyone was saying that you can load a breaker to 100%, and Mr. Mullin is saying its not allowed.

iwire

Staff member

From the 2004 UL White Book

CIRCUIT BREAKERS, MOLDED-CASE AND
CIRCUIT BREAKER ENCLOSURES (DIVQ)

Part of the section called use
Unless otherwise marked, circuit breakers should not be loaded to exceed 80 percent of their current rating, where in normal operation the load will continue for three hours or more.
:)

jimwalker

and on that final second that makes 3 hours it magically trips.But all that needs to be done is reset and we are good for another 2 hours 59 minutes and 59 seconds.Do breakers have a clock built in ? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.