going rate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonyou812

I'm not sure if this is really the place to ask but i am currently looking for a new job and i have five and 1/2 years experience. But i was kind of surprised
when a couple of contractors gave me their quote on what i should be at. I mean im not looking for any benifits because i get them through my wife. and my present employer is paying me 23 hr. Does that seem like to much? Or should i say is 18 - 19 hr enough? I consider myself a good employee. I dont take long coffee or lunch breaks. I always on time and if i need to stay on the job a little late to get it done I do it.

haskindm

Hourly rates vary greatly according to the area and the type of work that you do. Typically commercial electricians can expect to earn more than those that do only residential work. Workers in urban areas tend to be paid more than those in rural areas, but there are no firm rules. That said, $23 per hour with only five year's experience sound VERY generous, but what are the conditions for which you get that money? Are you guaranteed a certain number of hours per week? Do you receive any benefits? Do you get paid vacations? There are many variables to consider when determining the "going rate".

celtic

It depends on the nature of the work.
If you are doing residential type work, $23 might be ok...IF it included some benefits - like medical and retirement. Without these items, the employer is only looking to "fill a vacancy" and has no long term plans for his employees.

If you are doing commercial and industrial type work, it's low.

What were some of thwe other's guys umbers?

tonyou812

I got 18, 19, and one guy even had the @alls to say 16. I mean come on dude throw me a bone. Its not like im in a office talking on the phone all day im working, ive learned alot. I went through all the school required, I go to classes on the weekends for my exam prep i really enjoy what i do.... most of the time....:confused:. so why do they quote so low. I really hate playing this game. why dont they ever ask technical questions?

brian john

Attitude, Is this a just a job or is this your chosen profession.

Experience - residential, commercial, industrial, construction, service, fire alarm, controls.

Schooling, Were you ever a registered apprentice? Are you taking classes now? WHY NOT!

Do you subscribed to any trade publications? Do you keep up on changes in materials, methods and the NEC?

License or Licenses.

How many jobs have you had in 5 years?

What is the going rate in your area?

What do you offer an employer that he should risk his money, reputation, license and insurance on you!

NEVER SELL BENEFITS SHORT, retirement is a MUST.

Davis9

I think that if you don't have a license and someone is paying you 23/hr that is pretty good. I think that there are more workers than work in most areas. That's why your getting lowballed. Sooner or later the guy offering 16 will find someone that needs the $$$.

I recently ran an ad in the local paper and had 40+ applications in a week.(Apprentice 3 yrs min exp req)

Tom

emahler

well....i'd rather take $33/hr +benes and work 6 months (1000 hrs) than take $16/hr with no benes and work 12 months (2000 hrs)

but that's just me...

Davis9

tonyou812 said:
I got 18, 19, and one guy even had the @alls to say 16. I mean come on dude throw me a bone. Its not like im in a office talking on the phone all day im working, ive learned alot. I went through all the school required, I go to classes on the weekends for my exam prep i really enjoy what i do.... most of the time....:confused:. so why do they quote so low. I really hate playing this game. why dont they ever ask technical questions?

If an Apprentice can make 33/hr good for him, I don't see that around here. And if a Licensed Electrician is making 16/hr maybe shame on him. Of course depending on local market conditions. Although NJ doesn't seem like it is too cheap. Kinda like the situation here in MA.

Tom

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
A non-licensed person (apprentice) is a burden to a shop. They have to be supervised by an on site journeyman or contractor which puts an extra man on a job that only needs one. Doesn't matter that she can outwork and foresees job requirements before anyone else. New employers do not know the skills you have until they are demonstrated. Thus the lowball figure.

I do not believe you will find any $23 apprentices in this State that works in the field.

LawnGuyLandSparky

Davis9 said:
I think that if you don't have a license and someone is paying you 23/hr that is pretty good. I think that there are more workers than work in most areas. That's why your getting lowballed. Sooner or later the guy offering 16 will find someone that needs the $$$.

I recently ran an ad in the local paper and had 40+ applications in a week.(Apprentice 3 yrs min exp req)

Tom

There are some shops that are run on business models where the bottom line only is all that is considered. I worked for such a shop for about 4 months. I don't know the complete jist, but part of the operation is they always have an ad in the paper, and are always hiring. Turnover is high, and the owner profits by "chewing up" younger, impressionable apprentices and journeymen looking to impress, and hangs on to them as long as their productive, but will never see a raise. When this becomes evident to the employee, they're "spit out."

Beware of shops that always seem to be looking for new help.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
LawnGuyLandSparky said:
I don't know the complete jist, but part of the operation is they always have an ad in the paper, and are always hiring.
That's one of the tactics mentioned at an ESI seminar we went to last year.

The dinner was nice.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
LawnGuyLandSparky said:
...and the owner profits by "chewing up" younger, impressionable apprentices and journeymen looking to impress, and hangs on to them as long as their productive, but will never see a raise. When this becomes evident to the employee, they're "spit out."

Beware of shops that always seem to be looking for new help.
Dude, I had no idea we had worked at the same shop - you should have told me! :D

Lot happier with the company I'm with now, though. :cool:

Luketrician

The same tactics are in place here also. Shops look at fourth and fifth year apprentices as a huge way to save money.Why hire a journeyman when I can get this apprentice to do it instead? I don't think it's right though. There are way too many journeyman electricians out there that are suffering right now because of this.

tonyou812

For some reason i get the feeling that a lot of us are not on the same page. If i am pursuing a carer and after 6 years of working 40+ hrs plus going to school for 5 years and really applying myself at work(not just showing up for a pay check) and I'm making 16- 17 an hour why would i bother to even pursue it? I am quite capable of handling jobs on my own, be it residential or commercial. I am a tool for making my boss money. why wouldn't i be worth that to someone. I think to many people put to much merit on time. Ive known guys in the buisness 15-20 years that dont know how to do many things that the should know after all that time.Maybey its not the apprentice taking someones job as it is the journry man not doing his job. ie. lazy dude making everyone else pick up his slack while he blames coworkers for any mistakes and if your looking for him hes the guy outside taking his 14th cigerette break...... at 9:30 am

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.