Good Estimate

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
You have to look at your performance over a period of time, not just one bid. If you find that you come in at the bottom consistently you need to look at what you are doing wrong. If you are consistently second or third with a few wins I would say that you are right where you should be.

-Hal

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
You have to look at your performance over a period of time, not just one bid. If you find that you come in at the bottom consistently you need to look at what you are doing wrong. If you are consistently second or third with a few wins I would say that you are right where you should be.

-Hal
Makes sense thanks

hbiss

Occupation
EC
I don't want to work for customer that is looking for cheapest electrician and have often thought middle bid is likely the correct price

If you are bidding a project for a commercial GC they only take the lowest responsible bidder.

If you are bidding on something for a homeowner, they play that game with you.

-Hal

James L

Occupation
Electrician
I think it's good to occasionally compare with someone. Maybe a coworker, boss, peer, etc.

I freelanced some estimating back in 2009-2010. After not winning a few, the boss told me he wanted to figure one as well as me, on a restaurant.

After I got it done, I called him to compare.
He was at $128k
I was at $131k
He was surprised how close we were, and submitted my number

We didn't win it.
He found out the winning bid was $45k

We had the right number, it just happened that someone came along and put his own neck in a guillotine.

hbiss

Occupation
EC
We had the right number, it just happened that someone came along and put his own neck in a guillotine.
Yup. And that right there is where the term "responsible bidder" comes in. A GC or owner knows what the job is worth and doesn't want to do business with someone who is going to lose his shirt halfway through the job. Likely in that case the bid will be thrown out and the next lowest bidder chosen.

About that time you hear from the first bidder about how they missed some item somewhere.

-Hal

cdslotz

If you are bidding a project for a commercial GC they only take the lowest responsible bidder.

If you are bidding on something for a homeowner, they play that game with you.

-Hal
Not true unless your bidding jobs "off the street".

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
No such thing as a "right" number. Do you mean the winning number, the lowest bid? How your number compares to the others?

-Hal

In my opinion, contacting will guarantee that you will eventually go broke. It's like that old series on TV ... "Can You Name That Tune in Three Notes". That's why I changed to service & maintenance.

Seven-Delta-FortyOne

Goin’ Down In Flames........
Occupation
EC and GC
In my opinion, contacting will guarantee that you will eventually go broke. It's like that old series on TV ... "Can You Name That Tune in Three Notes". That's why I changed to service & maintenance.

Different strokes for different folks. If all I did was service work, I’d make a fraction of what I make now.

cdslotz

Yup. And that right there is where the term "responsible bidder" comes in. A GC or owner knows what the job is worth and doesn't want to do business with someone who is going to lose his shirt halfway through the job. Likely in that case the bid will be thrown out and the next lowest bidder chosen.

About that time you hear from the first bidder about how they missed some item somewhere.

-Hal
You're one of the rare ones here that understand that commercial GC's don't just run with the low bidder. Most GC's have a list of "responsible EC's" that they trust their numbers and ability to do the job. I would get call from GC's to tell me my number is out of whack and may have missed something. Sure enough, I did. A lot of folks here think you can low-ball and then kill them on CO's. That's the last thing a GC wants...is to look bad to the owner