got a funky one you guys will laugh at

Status
Not open for further replies.

Designer69

what was shown to me is... there's a 120/240 single phase panel "A" that has 120 1P going to a terminal strip type junction box (which has a bunch of other connections that go to various field instruments).

what they wanna do is.. go from the terminal strip JB to a new 120/240 panel "B" (which has no main bkr, only main lugs) and jump the busses so its only a 120v panel. then they wanna power some instrument stuff from panel "B".

I don't see anything wrong with jumping the buses on panel "B" but I think everything else is wrong. the equipment is in different rooms. First I think there should be a main bkr on panel "B" - would there be big problems at the JB on a short ckt fault/ overcurrent without a Main BKR on panel "B"?

second of all I just don't think they should wire it this way- unless Im paranoid and you guys don't see any problms here??. Theres no more empty bkrs in Panel "A" to connect from so that's why I think they're doing it this way.

Buck Parrish

IMO- From what I think you have described. You are not being paranoid.
Tell them (they) that it is a screwy way to do electric work. And if a breaker don't trip first. It might likely burn the place down.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I don't see a problem with it as long as the conductors from the j box are sized for the OCPD feeding the terminal strip. All you have is 120 volt subpanel.

Roger

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Many solar panel are wired with 120v. The inverters are very expensive so often they use just one. I just wired the panel 120V and then used breakers on the appropriate phases.

Designer69

I don't see a problem with it as long as the conductors from the j box are sized for the OCPD feeding the terminal strip. All you have is 120 volt subpanel.

Roger

the terminal strip is in the JBox, the pnlbd "A" branch ckt bkr is all that's protecting it

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
I would still be interested in knowing the size of panel A and the size of the breaker feeding panel B. Although legal, if for instance a QO170 was used, I would be taking a close look at this install.

Status
Not open for further replies.