Got a kick out of this.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

daleuger

We are industrial electrical contractors and often get involved in plant machinery moves. This inlvolves typically three trades. Electricians, Riggers, and Pipe Fitters (Plumbers).

We we connecting power to several large machines, pipe and wire. There were plumbers bringing plant water systems to the machinery with 2" black or galvanized pipe.

I was watching the journeyman plumber threading about a 15' piece of 2" pipe. He had the pipe in a tr-stand threadding machine. And, as oppsed to using an idler (roller) stand 10 feet away for the loose end of the pipe, he had it idling on the V-jaws of a tri-stand chain vice. This was thier MO all morning long. Well one pipe started to chatter and bounce on the idling pipe stand, so the apprentice thought he would just throw the chain over to keep it from bouncing.

What happened it a blink of an eye: The chain was thrown over in the same direction as the prip war rotatng, and cinched up, the tri-stand pipe stand, and the tri-stand threader BOTH imeediatley began to twist over, roll and violently buck and jump like a bad mechanical Rodeo, with threader oil buckets getting knocked over, equipment geting banged up.

It took the journeyman about 20 seconds after he backed away to run to the wall and unplug his threader.

Fortunatley the apprentice, nor no one else was injured. Once all the trades realized that there were no injuries, we all had a good laugh.

He can't pipe and he can't fit but the plumber sure knows his......well you can figure it out.:wink:

TwinCitySparky

I'm pretty sure I've told all these on here at one point, but I love these stories:
  • The time I asked a helper to go get a fish tape. "What's that?" he asks. "It's bright orange, and shaped like a donut with a black handle, and it's hanging on the back door of the van." He leaves... time passes I start wondering where he went. Finally shows back up and without a word, he hands me a tree branch. I was so confused about how we went from "fish tape" to "tree branch" I didn't even know how to correct him.
    -John

• It takes alot to get me to laugh at 5:00AM... For some goofy reason, this one really worked - Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.