gounding & BONDING residential

Status
Not open for further replies.

twistin214

hello everyone, i am new to the forum and to the field. i am learning a lot from you guys and appreciate it. my question from ohio. new construction, did the service with two ground rods on rough.this house has a well and is brought in using pvc. from the well to hot h20 i have about 3' of copper then back to all plastic water lines. what other grnding or bonding should i do? thanks

bphgravity

Re: gounding & BONDING residential

None. The system is properly grounded and the 3' foot section of copper water pipe does not constitute a "system" and has really no likely-hood of becomming energized. Unless there is a concrete encased electrode still available, and no other equipment or metallic components that may need bonding, I would say your all set.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

Originally posted by twistin214:
would you consider running a wire out to the well casing?
I have heard from a few electricians that this is required. Has anyone else heard this?

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

This comes down to perspective. IMO, the well casing 30 feet from the house is not "present at the structure". Therefore, it's not required to be used as a grounding electrode.

However, the well pump's Equipment Grounding Conductor must be bonded to the casing per 250.112(M). This serves to kick the breaker in case the pump shorts to the casing.

(That was more for the new guy, Trevor. :) )

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

In addition, I would consider the section of metal pipe to be effectively grounded by the EGC of the circuit likely to energize it, if we're talking an electric water heater.

electricmanscott

I agree using the well casing as an electrode is not required per NEC. I don't agree with Georges interpretation though. Even if it happened to be in the basement it would not be required to be used as an electrode. It is permitted to be just not required.
Also the well casing does not have to be "present at the structure" to be used as an electrode. I see nothing that determines where it or for that matter ground rods must be located in reference to distance from a structure.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Scott, I disagree. 250.50 states that all electrodes present at a structure shall be bonded together. If a metal well casing is in contact with the earth for 10 feet and is present in the basement of the structure, it is required to be used. 250.52(A)(1) even mentions it by name. :)

I agree that if it is some distance away from the structure, we're permitted to go out there if we choose, but we're not required to.

electricmanscott

George 250.50 says all electrodes described in 250.52(A)(1) through (A)(6) that are present shall be bonded together to from the electrode system. Metal well casing is not one of the required items.

250.52(A)(7) allows you to use a metal well casing or other metal underground structure if the others are not available.

250.51(A)(1) Describes metal underground water pipe and it's length. If you have 10 feet (or more) in contact with the earth (including well casing bonded to the pipe) it is considered an electrode. This section is allowing you to use the well casing connected to the pipe as used to determine the length of pipe in contact with the ground. EX. 4 feet of pipe in the ground alone no good. 4 feet of pipe connected to six feet of well casing is ok.

That's my take on it.

tph06784

250.112(M) states where a submersible pump is used in a metal well casing, the well casing shall be bonded to the pump circuit equipment grounding conductor.
This is all you have to do.

twistin214

thanks everyone, final was in a couple of days to get them in by xmas. i was there by myself and heard water leaking in master bath. i shut off water main and back drained it, the builder said to give me a bonus but seems are starting to pop.

Status
Not open for further replies.