Grandfathering of Existing Installations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ee4fire

Where is it stated that electrical installations are automatically grandfather when the code is updated? I have seen it but I can not go back and find it.

Thanks

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Try 80.11(B). It has been moved to the Annex, and is not enforceable. Also, it does not make use of the word "grandfather." But I think that is the only place that discusses the concept of a grandfather rule.

Also, please note that that article does not require a facility to have been in compliance with the code that was in effect at the time of its installation. I mean it contains no words that require you to verify that an older code would have permitted what is now forbidden. Some local codes, however, add that requirement to the grandfather rule.

Welcome to the forum.

ee4fire

Thanks for the reply. I was looking in the 1996 and Art. 80 was not in code at the time, but I know there is a statement about it. Art 90 & 110 does not have the specific statement.

480sparky

Article 80 started out in the '02, and was moved to the annex in the '05 as not to be part of the code proper. It can be part of the code, if specifically mentioned and adopted by the AHJ.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
It used to be in the Uniform Administrative Code.

102.3 Existing Installations. Building service equipment lawfully in existence at the time of the adoption of the technical codes may have their use, maintenance or repair continued if the use, maintenance or repair is in accordance with the original design and a hazard to life, health or property has not been created by such building service equipment.

ee4fire

grandfathering exisiting installations.

grandfathering exisiting installations.

Thanks for the information.

I know Art. 80 was added in the 2002 NEC. Prior NEC's did not have Art 80 and none the verbage doesn't appear in Art 90 or 110.

I have an issue in Wash. DC, and they are using the 1996 NEC. DC has always been several codes behind.

Thanks,

Bob

jrannis

Around here, if its installed with a permit, inspected, finaled and compliant at the time of installation and is untouched by your new work, and its safe, normally its OK.
It the work is in place, and was installed without a permit then it is an ongoing violation.

Status
Not open for further replies.