Graphing Calculator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flatbed

Good morning,

Recently I have been contemplating purchasing a graphing calculator. More or less to become a little more efficient.
I was wondering how many people enjoy using these tools, and possibly their pros and cons.

Thanks folks,

Flatbed

spsnyder

Re: Graphing Calculator

What do you do that you'd need a graphing calculator? Beyond school I have absolutly no use for one. If you do need one, and you are an HP guy and are used to RPN do not get the HP 49g. I bought it and hate it. It is not set up for RPN in most of it's functions/programs. Sucks at matrices, is comberson, etc. Big waste of money. I bought a hp33s for $50 and couldn't be happer. If you have to get a graphing calculator and need RPN go with the HP48g's. They're still the best calculator out there IMO. Best of luck.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

If you haven't used RPN (Reverse Polish Notation) before, you will hate it.

I got a Casio on closeout at Radio Shack for $20. But I had to download and print the manual off the internet.

Unless you are in school, I doubt you will use the graphing function much. But I like having a graphing calculator just for the other functions they have.

Anything more than a quick calculation, I prefer to use my computer (usually microsoft excel). I don't think I would ever try to write a program to run in a calculator again.

Flatbed

Yes it will be mainly used in school. More curious if I will ever use it again in th etrade. Or simply put... Is it nothing more than a waste of money?

sceepe

More curious if I will ever use it again in th etrade.
Note sure what part of the "trade" your talking about. Since your in the engineering forum, I can tell you as an engineer I don't use any of the graphing functions in My Hp and I haven't since graduation. If I needed to graph something I would probably use Excel anyway.

Flatbed

I think that pretty much answers it. Mainly in the field I would be using it for voltage drops, and derates. But I already know the math, so a simple calculator, pencil and paper should suffice.
Thanks guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.