green flakes in water system

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today i was sent out on a service call where i was able to meet with the water company when i gat to the site heres the problem there getting crap in there water ( along with 2 neighbors) the wa co said its because weve attatched electric wires to the water pipe can someone tell me why this would cause the problem i know its been talked about it here before
i checked all bonding contacts and both the rods all connections where tight

rattus

Re: green flakes in water system

There are millions of installations with a ground wire tied to the cold water pipe with no problems. I would speculate that sulphur in the water creates copper sulphate which tends to flake off now and then. You see it often on the outside of copper pipes, and I think I have seen it inside as well.

If it is copper sulphate or some similar compound, the sulphur has to come from the water. The ground wire cannot create it.

hurk27

If a utility transformer has lost it's connection to the MGN but still has connection to the service grounded conductor it will pull current through the grounding system of that service or if the service grounded conductor is lost between the service and the transformer it would also draw current from the grounding system which would include the water pipe. But this would only effect the outside of the pipe not the inside and should not cause the flakes inside of the pipe.
This sounds more like some chemicals were injected into the water system that is causing a break down of the copper. electrolysis of a water pipe would only take place on the outside of the pipe where it is in contact with Earth. This can happen when someone connects a pump that has a higher pressure than the water supply has.

jimwalker

Seems odd that it only effects 3 houses and not others.Do they not have check valves so that nothing can flow backwards from one house to another ? If your sure the neutrals and grounds are good at all 3 houses i would suggest taking a water sample to a lab.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

How old are the houses (or specifically, how old are their piping systems)? If the water company lost pressure for even a short time, and then turned the pressure on again, this symptom is a common result. The ?shock? (physical, not electrical) of the change in pressure will knock loose particles (including rust) on the inside of pipes. The next time you turn on a faucet, you hear air before you see water come out, and the water comes out dirty before it comes out clean. We?ve all seen it. I can?t believe that the water company would try to pawn this problem off on the electrical service.

By the way, another question: Was this a short time problem, or is the water continuing to come out with green flakes?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

I spoke with a Mechanical Engineer and a Piping Engineer in my office. Their reactions were essentially the same: they laughed. Then they proposed a couple dozen questions about the situation. Of course, they knew that I would not have the answers, but they were suggesting places to look for a solution to the problem. Every one of their questions related to the water supply system and the pipes within the 3 houses. I take this as being their confirmation that this is not a electrical problem. Members of the Forum already knew that, but it was nice to get confirmation from experts in the mechanical and piping fields.

stud696981

If the water company lost pressure for even a short time, and then turned the pressure on again, this symptom is a common result. The ?shock? (physical, not electrical) of the change in pressure will knock loose particles (including rust) on the inside of pipes.

I have seen dark colored water and particles often after a fire hydrant is used or flushed. This is just another possiblity.

thank you everyone who helped ive been working long hours and havent even turned on my computer for a few days sorry for the late responce

charlie

It is important to respond after everyone who answered went to the trouble to give you a response, not everyone does and your response is appreciated. The timing doesn't matter, the response does matter. Thank you. :D

gschuman

Interesting topic- I just had a call from a customer that we re-feed a well pump service for, and they said the water in the well is turning green! The well guy said it must have to do with electricity in the plumbing pipes! I told them I doubted it, and to have the well-guy give me a call and explain his theory. So far I haven't heard anything back.

(sounds a bit like witchcraft to me!)

Status
Not open for further replies.