green m.c. cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

wire monk

What is the correct term for green m/c cable?? Some one says it is M/C AP CABLE . Is that true?? Other people call it Hospital Grade m/c in our area.. Can't find AP cable mentioned in the code..

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I think the correct term for green MC cable is "green MC cable" (or AC cable) :smile:
My understanding is that the green was added by SOME manufacturers to show that cable sheath as being an approved grounding means.
There is no requirement for a green designation on any AC or MC cable and the green would not necessarily signify any particular rating
To my knowledge, the only cable with the green jacket is AC, HCF cable, but there is nothing that prevents any cabel from having a green colored jacket.

Last edited:

LJSMITH1

Solid green, AC-Type, cable indicates HCF (Health Care Facility) rated cable. Type HCF cable has a green grounding conductor plus the armor/bond wire combination, thereby providing redundant or isolated grounding capability.

Type MC cable has only one equipment grounding means, a green grounding conductor.

"MCAP" cable is Southwire's trade name for type MCI-A cable. Constructed similar to MC Cable, an integral, bare grounding conductor in MCI-A is equivalent to a green copper ground. It stays in contact with the armor throughout the cable length to provide grounding.

Last edited:

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Solid green, AC-Type, cable indicates HCF (Health Care Facility) rated cable. Type HCF cable has a green grounding conductor plus the armor/bond wire combination, thereby providing redundant or isolated grounding capability.

MC has only one equipment grounding means, a green grounding conductor.

The new type MC such as MCAP has both EGC's and is available for Health Care Facilities.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.