Green Wire as Phase Wire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tdaug53

We are installing a printing press from China and they are using Yellow-Green-Red as the phase wires for 380 volt 3 phase. There is green wire through out the machine as a phase wire. What is everyone's thoughts on this?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
We are installing a printing press from China and they are using Yellow-Green-Red as the phase wires for 380 volt 3 phase. There is green wire through out the machine as a phase wire. What is everyone's thoughts on this?
It is what it is. What happens inside the machine is not under the jurisdiction of the NEC.

raider1

Staff member
I would have to agree with Larry. Does the machine have a third party cert? Being out of China, I would doubt it.

I would really doubt that it has a NRTL listing.

I also argee that the wiring within the equipment would not be subject to the NEC.

Chris

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
An electrician died from just this issue of Chinas color code.
Some states will not allow non-listed equipment.
90.7 tells us the internal wiring is not subject to inspection, if it has been listed by a qualifed testing laboratory.
I recommend you discuss this with managment and get an answer in writing.
Please review this article first:
http://ecmweb.com/mag/electric_case_knockoff_motor/index.html

It just so happens to be a printing machine.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
20 years ago there were depression era buildings in NYC that had 208Y/120 Black/Red/Green/White feeders. I wish that I had a photo. Hopefully by now they've all been removed. :rolleyes:

cowboyjwc

Staff member
20 years ago there were depression era buildings in NYC that had 208Y/120 Black/Red/Green/White feeders. I wish that I had a photo. Hopefully by now they've all been removed. :rolleyes:

Cost me a pair of dikes to find out that green used to be a nongrounded conductor.:smile: It was funnier when it happend to my brother.:grin:

CIECO

About 6 month ago I installed a coater made in China and sounds like the same crew did the install going to have to check this out.

Status
Not open for further replies.