Greenfield vs. Flex conduit

Status
Not open for further replies.

raider1

Staff member
As far as I am aware, "Greenfield" is a trade term for flexible metal conduit, so greenfield and flexible metal conduit are the same thing. This is like asking if I can use a "romex" connector for nonmetallic sheathed cable.

Chris

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
I agree with Chris. Greenfield = FMC. Just like calling a Ryobi hand held reciprocating saw a Sawzall (registered name by Milwaukee Electric Tools).

Cavie

In some areas, the steel version is called Greenfield and the ALM version is called flex.

Why? I don't know, 1ST Base!

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Actually Greenfield was always just flexible conduit and goes back to 1902 it got it's name from the inventor.

Excerpt from this article

When you decide to use "Greenfield" on the job you are really dating yourself, so I would just call it "flex". It was invented in 1902 by Harry Greenfield and Gus Johnson and when it was listed by Sprague Electric Co. it was called "Greenfield flexible steel conduit". Today the term "Greenfield" is commonly used for all FMC (flexible metal conduit-NEC Art. 348). FMC is also manufactured in both aluminum and steel. The NEC defines FMC as "A raceway of circular cross section made of helically wound, formed, interlocked metal strip."

Roger

cycotcskir

Martin,

What kind of Sales Manager are you?

Are you in the electrical field?

What do you mean by "Flex"? Are you refering to FMC (Flexible Metallic Conduit) or are you refering to ENT (Electrical Non-metallic Tubing, the blue stuff)?

I will assume (uh oh!) you are not refering to flexible liquidtight.

Some places call ENT "flex".

Last edited:

dcspector

Martin,

What kind of Sales Manager are you?

Are you in the electrical field?

What do you mean by "Flex"? Are you refering to FMC (Flexible Metallic Conduit) or are you refering to ENT (Electrical Non-metallic Tubing, the blue stuff)?

I will assume (uh oh!) you are not refering to flexible liquidtight.

Some places call ENT "flex".

That was the reason or intent of my post #6 Way too many people use field slang and not the actual terminology.

cycotcskir

That was the reason or intent of my post #6 Way too many people use field slang and not the actual terminology.

I know:smile: I just noticed that everyone automatically knew that Greenfield was refering to FMC, but no one pointed out specifically that his term "flex" could be refering something other than what the majority of us call flex (FMC). I've never heard of Smurf Tube being called greenfield, but I sure have heard it called flex.:smile:

dcspector

I know:smile: I just noticed that everyone automatically knew that Greenfield was refering to FMC, but no one pointed out specifically that his term "flex" could be refering something other than what the majority of us call flex (FMC). I've never heard of Smurf Tube being called greenfield, but I sure have heard it called flex.:smile:

I agree. It was hard for me at first back in 93' to start loosing my field terminology. The tough one now for me is "luminaire".....I feel silly saying it. Oh well :smile:

cycotcskir

I agree. It was hard for me at first back in 93' to start loosing my field terminology. The tough one now for me is "luminaire".....I feel silly saying it. Oh well :smile:

For me, on an inspection with a contractor (well, not all, some I know pretty well), I go into Code Mode. That is where I employ virtually no slang, outside of official business, I use slang all the time.

It's similar to the difference in conversation that we all had with our parents vs. with our friends. Our friends let us get away with a whole lot more than ouor parents did. Get fast and loose with the parents and there was trouble, speak unclearly to a contractor...

dcspector

For me, on an inspection with a contractor (well, not all, some I know pretty well), I go into Code Mode. That is where I employ virtually no slang, outside of official business, I use slang all the time.

It's similar to the difference in conversation that we all had with our parents vs. with our friends. Our friends let us get away with a whole lot more than ouor parents did. Get fast and loose with the parents and there was trouble, speak unclearly to a contractor...

Great analogy...That was well said.

Status
Not open for further replies.