Grnd Wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Is nothing specified on drawings/specs and running lighting circuits for 120V lights in PVC coated galv what would determine how many ground you pull for each 1P-20A circuit as you could use the conduit for the EGC correct? Does that mean you don't need pull any ground wires? THanks.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Correct. If the raceway meets 250.118 as an EGC, no actual wire type conductor is required,.

(A wire type conductor might be required by the specs)

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
And if for some reason the conduit doesn't qualify as a grounding path (e.g. rigid PVC conduit), you only need one EGC in the conduit, sized per the largest source overcurrent device. If your's are all 20A, then one #12 EGC.

Be sure to check the plans for a note somewhere about always wanting an EGC in a raceway. Some places always want one.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
On our last two big projects we no longer pulled in wire type EGC's with EMT. Doing so was always the norm but I think that designers are looking to save every penny.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
And if for some reason the conduit doesn't qualify as a grounding path (e.g. rigid PVC conduit), you only need one EGC in the conduit, sized per the largest source overcurrent device. If your's are all 20A, then one #12 EGC.

Be sure to check the plans for a note somewhere about always wanting an EGC in a raceway. Some places always want one.
Good points . It’s it pvc coated RGS. That doesn’t qualify as grounding path?

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
On our last two big projects we no longer pulled in wire type EGC's with EMT. Doing so was always the norm but I think that designers are looking to save every penny.
If you had RGS same you apply correct ?

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
To the OP, I agree with the others, but just would just add that you should use the correct terms. In this context this is an equipment grounding conductor or abbreviated as EGC.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
If you see
So when you see something like 3#10 with #12 ground. That ground is actually a EGC?
An undersized equip. ground :)
(If the #10s are a 30 amp circuit, the EGC should also be a #10.. see 250.122)
(If it's a 20 amp circuit and the phases were increased to #10, the EGC would need to be a #10 also)

A possibly more correct scenario for your example would be (3) #8 and a @10, although it's possible the smaller wire could be a reduced neutral..

Status
Not open for further replies.