Ground bar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oldmaster2

Occupation
Master Electrician
Been in a debate regarding ground bars and neutral bars. The question becomes, Can you install a ground bar in a main panel and land neutrals on it?

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Been in a debate regarding ground bars and neutral bars. The question becomes, Can you install a ground bar in a main panel and land neutrals on it?
No. You would then be using the enclosure as a circuit conductor. Some might argue that if you put a properly sized wire type jumper from the neutral bar to the EG bar then it would fly. But I think the next argument would be the ground bar is listed only for EGCs.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Not exactly. The enclosure alone may not be part of the neutral-current pathway, but an added bar that is connected to the neutral with a conductor may be used. It need not be insulated from the enclosure if this includes the main disconnect.

Stuff

Occupation
Engineer
If you do find a panel that is listed to accept an additional neutral bar how do you size the conductor connecting it to the existing neutral bar? Do you base it on a load calc or the panel's rating?

Another C10

Electrical Contractor 1987 - present
Occupation
Electrician NEC 2020
Can you install a ground bar in a main panel and land neutrals on it?
I may not be reading this correctly but as you may know, the Neutral/Ground termination bar at a Meter Main panel is one in the same, also it is usually bolted directly to the metal enclosure. Just make sure that the Neutrals should be attached to the same termination bar as the incoming supplied Neutral

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I may not be reading this correctly but as you may know, the Neutral/Ground termination bar at a Meter Main panel is one in the same, also it is usually bolted directly to the metal enclosure.
But if you need more termination points and want to land neutrals on it the new bar can not use the enclosure for neutral current.

Roger

Peter Furrow

We’re not born humble, we’re born to be humbled
Occupation
Electrical contractor
We obviously can’t see the installation. But you should ask yourself,.. Will this installation create objectionable current? Will there be parallel return paths on the casing or the enclosure.? Article 250.24(5) says“ A neutral conductor is not permitted to be connected to metal parts of equipment, equipment grounding conductor‘s, or the ground on the load side of the service disconnecting means.”
A neutral to case connection made on the load side of the service disconnect will create objectionable neutral current.
however,
also read 250.142 here it says that the grounded circuit conductor is permitted to be connected to the noncurrent caring metal part if it is within the enclosure of the main disc. and on the supply side.
I hope these two code references help... I don’t think we really answered your question though.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I may not be reading this correctly but as you may know, the Neutral/Ground termination bar at a Meter Main panel is one in the same, also it is usually bolted directly to the metal enclosure. Just make sure that the Neutrals should be attached to the same termination bar as the incoming supplied Neutral
This would be an example of equipment suitable for use only as service equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.