ground bar

Status
Not open for further replies.

e

How many grounds can you put under a screw on a 200amp service ground bar? And where can i find it int the NEC?

bphgravity

Re: ground bar

Only one conductor is allowed per terminal unless the terminal screw is listed and labeld by the manufacturer for two or more conductors. This is for grounding (equipment bonding) conductors only. Per 408.21 of the 2002 NEC only one grounded conductor is allowed per terminal no matter how many the manufacturer say can be installed. The only exception is paralleled grounded conductors. :)

gregory

Re: ground bar

408.21 is for grounded neutrals, not for equipment grounding conductors. see 110.14 below, this would cover equipment grounds as well as neutral conductors. I have seen on the legend of some electric panels where they allow you to combine equipment ground conductors but they do not allow you to combine neutrals or grounded conductors. I have seen C. T. cabinets & switch gear that have the terminals listed & labeled for 2 wires in one terminal. (neutrals as well as hot wires)
110.14(A) Terminals. Connection of conductors to terminal parts shall ensure a thoroughly good connection without damaging the conductors and shall be made by means of pressure connectors (including set-screw type), solder lugs, or splices to flexible leads. Connection by means of wire-binding screws or studs and nuts that have upturned lugs or the equivalent shall be permitted for 10 AWG or smaller conductors.
Terminals for more than one conductor and terminals used to connect aluminum shall be so identified.

Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.