Ground Bushings for rooftop arrays

Status
Not open for further replies.
From Rooftop Array To Rooftop Array

From Rooftop Array To Rooftop Array

Underneath the modules there is no need for conduit.

I am running conduit from array to array and stubbing about a foot on each side
So we end conduit with connecting conduits on both ends with entire connector and gr bushing.
Thank You

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
I am running conduit from array to array and stubbing about a foot on each side
So we end conduit with connecting conduits on both ends with entire connector and gr bushing.
Thank You

We run EMT grounded on one end between sections of an array. If DC no more than 10' under NEC 2014 and no more than 1' under NEC 2017.

Zee

The issue with ground bushings is that they are not outdoor rated.

Late reply here.

I use two methods for jumpers between arrays:
1. SHORT gaps (one or two feet).
Split a piece of non-metallic flexible conduit (gray) (AKA liquid tight) lengthwise with a knife (like gutting a fish :)) and snap it around wire and use fat black zipties to close.
Benefit: No gr. bushing,
no connectors,
no reaming cut ends,
no pipe bending
....because no metal!
This works great on short and intact lengths of IQ Cable.
For PV wire and field wireables on IQ Cable, you don't even need to "gut the fish".

2. LONG jumpers.
EMT as per you.
I do have a special kit of
-stainless steel bolts (small 10-24, 10-32, etc) to match the threads on the gr. bushing setcrews
-s.st. starwashers
-direct burial rated lay-in-lugs.

I replace everything but the steel bushing itself.

Small parts, but bonding is important to get right.
Benefit: you feel good.:thumbsup:

Several jobs I worked on they used pipe bonding clamps on the EMT to bond instead of connectors and bonding bushings. I guess it is arguable if that is acceptable.

As an installer, I used to dread running PV wire through conduit between array sections - it is such a PIA and a time suck when you have several hundred feet on each side. I proposed using a piece of strut and laying the conductors in it like a mini cable tray, but it was shot down. Of course actual cable tray would work too, but probably only practical from a cost standpoint if you have a large number of conductors.

Status
Not open for further replies.