ground conductor in emt for outlets

Status
Not open for further replies.

rae1rae

working in a new factory, removing an out let box and section of emt for new drive panel I noticed that the outlets were grounded to the metal box via green conductor but there was no ground conductor in the emt as well as 1 white common for 3 feeds . unkosher by me ?

aelectricalman

Re: ground conductor in emt for outlets

depends on what materials where used to do the application. Sometimes you can use the Emt as the grounding system. Depends on if you have the right type of connections among other things.

physis

250.118 lists types of equipment grounding conductors, there are conduit types on the list. And the equipment grounding conductor between the receptacle and the box is required by 250.146.

The one neutral with three other ungrounded conductors could be a 4 wire three phase circuit (completely normal) but I can only guess at that.

[ August 11, 2005, 01:40 AM: Message edited by: physis ]

physis

EDIT: I'm having attacked computer syndrome again, damn internet. (posted twice)

[ August 10, 2005, 11:52 PM: Message edited by: physis ]

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

Sounds fine to me. EMT can be used as the equipment grounding conductor and does not require a separate conductor to be pulled with the circuit conductors.

[ August 11, 2005, 05:23 AM: Message edited by: infinity ]

jimwalker

We always pull a ground,but thats being over the min. nec..It is a good idea but not required and often in older building we see no ground wire.The danger is that the emt might come apart and we have all seen that far too often.

Status
Not open for further replies.