Ground Fault protection for a stove in a kitchen

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshields

Having a problem with a Ground Fault circuit breaker feeding a stove in a kitchen. Suggestion from the contractor was to hard wire it thereby eliminating the requirement for the GFCI. I'm wondering if a less sensitive GFEP breaker would meet the code requirement for all receptacles in a kitchen having ground fault protection.

mwm1752

Make sure the receptacle is 6'+ from the sink - as the cord flies - that can be done with the edge of the range 3' from sink

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Having a problem with a Ground Fault circuit breaker feeding a stove in a kitchen. Suggestion from the contractor was to hard wire it thereby eliminating the requirement for the GFCI. I'm wondering if a less sensitive GFEP breaker would meet the code requirement for all receptacles in a kitchen having ground fault protection.
Have you made it a 4 wire and removed the bonding strap in the range?

And no it must be "...protection for personnel..."

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Make sure the receptacle is 6'+ from the sink - as the cord flies - that can be done with the edge of the range 3' from sink

That's OK if it's a residential kitchen.

If its a commercial kitchen, GFCI is still required even if 6' from a sink.

mshields

Yeah I know it Steve. This one is believe it or not in a physical therapy area of an outpatient facility. I'm told they are actually teaching people how to cook with whatever limitations they have. So I wouldn't exactly call it a commercial kitchen. Given that, which criteria do you think applies.

Thank you ALL!!!

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
When does the GFCI trip? Is the stove brand new?
There have been reports of excessive moisture in the elements that will cause a GFCI to trip until the elements have been brought up to heat for 5 to 10 minutes....that drives the moisture out and you are good to go until you ship it back across an ocean.

kwired

Electron manager
Yeah I know it Steve. This one is believe it or not in a physical therapy area of an outpatient facility. I'm told they are actually teaching people how to cook with whatever limitations they have. So I wouldn't exactly call it a commercial kitchen. Given that, which criteria do you think applies.

Thank you ALL!!!
unless you have a complete suite that meets definition of dwelling, you will need to follow rules for other than dwellings.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
I agree with kwired - it looks like all non-dwelling kitchens need GFCI receptacles.

Do the instructions for the stove allow hardwiring? When a contractor suggest hardwiring a cord and plug appliance, I always picture them cutting the end off the cord, and wire-nutting the SO cord into a box. Maybe they would do a better job than that, but I'm still not sure it complies with the stove's UL listing.

I'd have someone do a little more troubleshooting. Don and ptonsparky's suggestions should be investigated. Or maybe the stove is just bad. Maybe the GFCI circuit breaker is bad. (There is also a limit on the branch circuit length on GFCI breakers - maybe 100', maybe 200' - I can't remember exactly what the limit was.)

Try plugging it into a different standard gfci outlet and see if it still trips. Or try a different breaker. Or even try a standard outlet long enough to burn off any moisture like Don said.

Status
Not open for further replies.