Ground Fault Protection on substation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a substation that is fed from the utility at 12kV. On the 12kV main it has a ground fault relay 51G. The circuit then splits to (3) different substations with 1500kVA transformers. All transformers have primary load interupter switches with fuses. The secondary of the transformers do not have a disconnect switch and has as many as (8) taps.

Q1) If my 12kV system has ground fault protection does my low voltage need it in addition?
Q2) If I was to remove (2) taps to change from (8) to (6) then it would be code compliant?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I have a substation that is fed from the utility at 12kV. On the 12kV main it has a ground fault relay 51G. The circuit then splits to (3) different substations with 1500kVA transformers. All transformers have primary load interupter switches with fuses. The secondary of the transformers do not have a disconnect switch and has as many as (8) taps.

Q1) If my 12kV system has ground fault protection does my low voltage need it in addition?
Q2) If I was to remove (2) taps to change from (8) to (6) then it would be code compliant?

A1 I may shortly learn differently , but I don't think your secondary will have any effect on your 12 kv GFP. I know of no NEC requirement beyond 230.95

A2 Unless these "taps" are being used as service (230.71) or building feeders (225.33) I don't that the (8) is a violation.

Status
Not open for further replies.