Ground resistance testing in hazardous location

Status
Not open for further replies.

fbhwt

Electrical Systems Inspector
Occupation
Where can I find information on ground resistance testing in hazardous locations such as above ground fuel storage tanks? I'm curious as to the requirements of the test equipment.

fbhwt

Occupation
I didn't know there were any resistance testing requirements for ASTs. AFAIK, the ground rods were only to dissipate lightning or any static charges.

Maybe I'm not wording it right, is the equipment, resistance tester required to be suitable for classified hazardous locations?

powerpete69

Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
I would assume you need to make sure that you don't make an electrical arc.
If you do make that arc, there is a chance there will be an explosion.
Since you are checking resistance only, perhaps there will be no arc since ohm meters generally don't arc.

Our moderator "Rbalex" seems to know the most on this subject of hazardous areas. Perhaps he will reply or just instant message him.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Maybe I'm not wording it right, is the equipment, resistance tester required to be suitable for classified hazardous locations?
The simplest answer is ,of course, it must be suitable. The question then becomes, “What is suitable?”. Suitable is a quasi defined term in Section 500.8(A) and there are several options. So how do you want to approach it?

fbhwt

Occupation
The simplest answer is ,of course, it must be suitable. The question then becomes, “What is suitable?”. Suitable is a quasi defined term in Section 500.8(A) and there are several options. So how do you want to approach it?

Thanks for the reply, I guess I need to get in touch with the manufacturer of the test equipment, I have documentation from the facility that calibrates
the AEMC 3640 Ground Resistance Tester, all it states is that it complies with certain standards, nothing about hazardous locations. I use the same tester for testing lightning protection on ammunition storage magazines but everything hazardous in contained inside the magazine. Naturally if I smelled fuel I wouldnt be conducting the test, I just wanted to know if the tester was rated for hazardous classified locations.

Does the facility operate a work permit system for you to carry out your testing? Typically in Oil & Gas facilities you would use a hot work permit with gas testing when using non-classified test equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.