Ground rod location

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdh

Hello,had a Inspector ask me to move a ground rod for a service because the ground rod would be under the concrete driveway he said it needed water to keep a good earth ground

I have not seen this in the code so if it is there please help

MDH

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
mdh said:
Hello,had a Inspector ask me to move a ground rod for a service because the ground rod would be under the concrete driveway he said it needed water to keep a good earth ground

MDH

It is not in the code book. 2 ground rods is all that is required if you cannot get 25 ohms to ground with one.

celtic

Interesting.

In many urban areas, there is no area not covered by concrete driveways/sidewalks.

mdh

BTW The water piping is copper so the ground wire also ties with-in 5 feet of the copper water piping system, that water company uses.the poco only requires 1 rod for a 200 amp or less 3 rods for 400 and above anyway I told him to show a code ref to support his want he could not as of friday

mdh

hey I also had another Inspector tell another that the ground rod driven under a wooden deck should have been where rain could get to it but he let it go

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
mdh said:
BTW The water piping is copper so the ground wire also ties with-in 5 feet of the copper water piping system, that water company uses.
The water pipe electrode is required to be supplemented by one or more electrodes, so if there are no other electrodes present then a ground rod may be driven to meet this requirement. 250.53(D)(2).

If that ground rod is not 25 ohms to earth or less, then one more ground rod is required - from there, even if the pair of rods exceed 25Ω then no more are required to be driven.

the poco only requires 1 rod for a 200 amp or less 3 rods for 400 and above anyway I told him to show a code ref to support his want he could not as of friday
Well, ground rods are required to be driven below permanent moisture level (250.53(A)), but generally this requirement is largely ignored, IMO - usually, the rod is driven until it is flush, or perhaps an inch above grade for visibility for inspection (or perhaps a misguided belief that the connection must remain accessible). Permanent moisture could be a foot or two below grade.

If the inspector believed no moisture would be present below the driveway, then he would have a case for moving the rod.

However, I believe the earth immediately under that slab of driveway concrete would be below permanent moisture level, I find it hard to envision dry earth under that slab at any time, IMO.

If the foundation of a new building contains a concrete-encased electrode (CEE), then it (and all other electrodes present) must be used (250.50). If you have a CEE connected to the electrical system, then no ground rods are required to be driven, since the CEE is supplementing the water pipe ground. (I say this ignoring your power company's requirements, which are unique to your area, IMO.)

Hope that helps,

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
mdh said:
hey I also had another Inspector tell another that the ground rod driven under a wooden deck should have been where rain could get to it but he let it go
So the earth under a porous deck that never sees sunshine is dry? :roll:

Where are you located, Death Valley?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
If you are in the Southeast everything is dry, even ponds and lakes.

Atlanta only has a few weeks of water left.

Roger

cadpoint

Place it here!

Place it here!

mdh said:

MDH

Sure why not it'll, burn off the oxygen to ignite the hydrogen ...
Via a lighting strike ...

Last edited:

romeo

Ground rod location

mdh said:

MDH

So much for a ufer ground.Be sure that the grd, clamp is listed for direct burial and be on your way.

mdh

My location is in east Tn,Thanks for all replys neither Inspector could quote a code violation both said that is what they would like to see.concrete is over my ground rod and a deck over the other one

Status
Not open for further replies.