Ground rod required? Sub Panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparks27

Guys. I Was at a Electrical class and Was Told by Instructor that Sub Panel in Out building/Garage, Shall Have Ground rod Installed Just to Panel Enclosure ? My Understanding of This is to Treat as Sub Panel and Run Grounding Conducter from Main Panel and use that to Ground Panel at OutBuilding/ Garage. No rod Needed? Cant find in 08" NEC?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
The requirement for installing a ground rod is separate from any consideration of equipment grounding conductors. See 250.32.

iwire

Staff member
Guys. I Was at a Electrical class and Was Told by Instructor that Sub Panel in Out building/Garage, Shall Have Ground rod Installed Just to Panel Enclosure ? My Understanding of This is to Treat as Sub Panel and Run Grounding Conducter from Main Panel and use that to Ground Panel at OutBuilding/ Garage. No rod Needed? Cant find in 08" NEC?

Any feeder running to a separate building or structure is required to have a grounding electrode system just like a service.

See 250.32(A)

sparks27

ground Rod Req,

ground Rod Req,

Thanks For The Responses Guys. I Was Confusing those Two Applications. The Seperate Building Req's it's Own Electrode Like a Service Would Have? seperate ground & Nuetral Too?

tkb

Seperate neutral and seperate equipment Ggound.
Ground rods connected to equipment ground at sub panel.

raider1

Staff member
Thanks For The Responses Guys. I Was Confusing those Two Applications. The Seperate Building Req's it's Own Electrode Like a Service Would Have?

Under the 2008 NEC then the grounding electrode conductor must be terminated at the equipment grounding terminal and not the neutral bus.

seperate ground & Nuetral Too?

Yes, you are required to run an equipment grounding conductor to all separate buildings or structures. (See 250.32(B))

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.