Ground rods generators and solar

Status
Not open for further replies.

sv650k4

So i have watched mikes video on grounding and bonding. It makes great sense until you get complicated scenarios. a Project i am working on is a 200 amp service at a home. The customer is going to be adding a generator in an outbuilding that has current electrical service. 60 amps off the main panel with a floating neutral and no ground rods at the building. The plan is to trench a piece of 200amp mobile home feeder back to the meter base and install a manual transfer switch. Would i be correct in grounding the generator only at the service entrance and not at the generator 150 feet away? Second being an outbuilding is it correct on not having ground rods?

The second thing the customer is having be do is install solar panels on a ground mount set up approximately 150 feet away. It is a transformer style inverter that has you ground the panels negative lead to the earth ground on the inverter. I was planning on running THHN in conduit back to the main panel and having the ground tie in to the main service entrance. I have some people say ground rods are required at the panels as well but i wasn't so sure about this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

david

I assume the transfer sw for the gen will be service rated and double lugged on the utility (normal) power lugs to accommodate a line side connection of the solar when its installed

The transfer SW will become your service disconnect and you will do your dwelling grounding electrode system bonding at that location for the Dwelling

The out building should have a grounding electrode system installed . Not sure under what Code cycle the feeder to the out building was installed. ( four wire I hope)

If the transfer Switch is two pole than you have the GEN neutral bonded to the grounding electrode system at the service rated transfer Switch (dwelling location)

Your solar Inverter (s) maybe at least two will most likely be pedestal mounted close to the ground mount solar array to address rapid shut down concerns

The inverter will be utility interactive and may monitor for ground faults and shut down under a ground fault condition.

The inverter most likely has a lug to accommodate a grounding electrode conductor

There are guys here who are experts on solar did you post your question for the solar their?

Status
Not open for further replies.