Ground rods & rehab

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
There is a link to the NJ Rehabilitation Subcode in post #8. In most cases it's less restrictive than the current codes.

kwired

Electron manager
"rehab code"????
That is what the topic of discussion was kind of about that you were questioning. As I said I don't know much about it other than from other discussion on this site, and apparently NJ is where it is more common as I can't seem to recall anything like it coming from elsewhere. But it seems to be a set of rules that apply to making repairs to existing equipment where you can swap worn out components for something same or very close to same anyway even if it doesn't meet current installation codes. I think most of the time though what was there had to be compliant at the time it was originally installed though.

It is better than leaving say a service disconnect that is about to melt down in place because owner doesn't want to/can't afford to pay to bring it up to current standards as well as other incidental items that may go with the upgrades, just replace the disconnect with one of similar rating and and don't disturb anything not necessary to make such replacement. That is just a starting place, it probably gets a little more complex but I think I gave one fairly good example of something that it may apply to. Maybe someone from that area can fill you in if you want to know more about it.

RICK NAPIER

The NJ rehab code, chapter 6 of our Uniform Construction Code, is almost 200 pages dealing with rehabilatation, additions and change of use. Rehabilitaion further breaks down to repair, renovation, alterations and reconstruction. It is a model code that was designed to encourage investment and improvements in existing properties by designating what parts and to what extent adopted codes should be applied. It also has additional requirements that may extend requirements beyond the proposed work.

There is a section in chapter 2 of the Uniform Construction Code that's called ordinary maintenance that covers work that does not require permits like changing 120 volt receptacles, replacing lights and so on.

keith gigabyte

rehab grounding

rehab grounding

I personally would change ground rods unless I was the original electrician. Did the previous guy cut them in half and use (2) 4 footers? Did he get down 5 foot and hit a rock and cut it off? You have no idea what he did and code says (2) 8 foot rods placed at least 6 feet apart. Did he splice the conductor with a split bolt? Unless you can guarantee none of the "no no's" were done, I think you are opening yourself up for a liability. Chances of a failure are probably low but if it does happen and the AHJ or insurance company digs out the ground rods and find one missing, short or what ever..its you, the last guy to get a permits fault..in my opinion.

I do a fair amout of rehab work and often for whatever reason the panel-board is in serviceable shape but the outside meter base, se cable and weather head are shot. If I reuse the existing panel, after thorough inspection by me, I upgrade all service grounding. New water pipe clamps, new conductor to water line, new rods and conductor to then.

Doing it this way I have never had an inspector fail an installation.

Status
Not open for further replies.