Ground run separate from SER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamestlogan1

New User
Occupation
Electrician
I am installing 4 - 100 amp sub panels feed from 4 seperate disconnects in an apartment building. I currently only have 2-2-2- SER available to purchase at local supplier. Can I run a separate #4 along side the SER cable

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I am installing 4 - 100 amp sub panels feed from 4 seperate disconnects in an apartment building. I currently only have 2-2-2- SER available to purchase at local supplier. Can I run a separate #4 along side the SER cable
Ser has an equipment grounding conductor. Like nm cable ----if it is seu then it is 2-2-2 but ser does have a 4th wire....

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
Ser has an equipment grounding conductor. Like nm cable ----if it is seu then it is 2-2-2 but ser does have a 4th wire....
That's generally true but sometimes not. SEU just means flat, and SER round. On Southwire's website, all the SEU is 3 conductors (counting the bare), and all the copper SER is 4 conductors, but the Aluminum SER is available with 3-5 conductors (although still mostly 4 conductors):

(You have to click on the specifications tab to see the different products)

Cheers, Wayne

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
That's generally true but sometimes not. SEU just means flat, and SER round. On Southwire's website, all the SEU is 3 conductors (counting the bare), and all the copper SER is 4 conductors, but the Aluminum SER is available with 3-5 conductors (although still mostly 4 conductors):

(You have to click on the specifications tab to see the different products)

Cheers, Wayne
It is always the case, IMO. The info you link is generic. It shows ser but then states under it types se, seu and ser. Find a cable with an equipment grounding conductor in it and I bet it is called ser. Maybe for 3 phase it might change IDK

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
300.3(B) has exceptions, such as non-ferrous wiring methods and runing everything through the same hole in a ferrous box. Maybe the rub is finding a cable clamp that can secure the cable and a separate EGC - there may not be listings for that combination.

Is the grounded conductor insulated or just covered? SE would typically be covered and SER would have an insulated neutral. If it is truly insulated, you can probably make it work.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
It is always the case, IMO. The info you link is generic. It shows ser but then states under it types se, seu and ser. Find a cable with an equipment grounding conductor in it and I bet it is called ser. Maybe for 3 phase it might change IDK
Agreed, SER can be three or four conductors but SEU is three conductors. The link below shows that.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
It is always the case, IMO. The info you link is generic.
On the link, you have to go to the specifications tab, I don't know how to make a link that opens up that tab within the web page. But, I'm not sure what we are disagreeing about.

The link Roger posted shows that 2-2-2 Al SE cable (2 insulated conductors, one bare) is available as either SEU or SER. The former is flat and the bare conductor strands are concentric around the 2 insulated conductors. The latter is round with a typical stranded bare conductor.

So while most SER has 4 conductors (including the bare), it is available with 3 or 5 conductors.

Cheers, Wayne

Last edited:

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Tell your supplier to order it from their wire vendor or find a different supplier. 2/3 (2-2-2-4) SER cable is not hard to get. Worse case order from HD or one of the other online wire sales sites.

Status
Not open for further replies.