Ground Taps to a Grid

Status
Not open for further replies.

quantum

We have an inspector that feels we must put "loops" in our ground tails from the equipment we are bonding, back to the ground grid, in case the ground settles.

I'm scanning through article 250 front and back, isn't there some place that recommends running the shortest path from point A to point B?

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Is this some type of ground ring? What is the equipment and doesn't the equipment have a EGC in the supply circuit? For an GEC, the conductors shouldn't have any loops and be as short as possible, as lightning is high frequency. This is an note to 250.4(A) (1).

quantum

This is a grounding grid in an industrial facility, which is the norm. All skids are bonded back to this grid. Yes, all equipment has their own EGC.

That is the note I was looking for!! Thanks!!

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
The notes are not enforceable, however this is an important one, if you leave a service loop it reduces the effectiveness. An 8 in bending radius is recommended for lightning conductors.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Same reason that you should cut the leads of a panel SPD to the shortest needed length instead of coiling them up.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

We have an inspector that feels we must put "loops" in our ground tails from the equipment we are bonding, back to the ground grid, in case the ground settles.

I'm scanning through article 250 front and back, isn't there some place that recommends running the shortest path from point A to point B?

Seems like the jumpers are completely un-necessary and not code required, so I don't think the inspector has any business questioning anything about them.

Status
Not open for further replies.