Ground To Water Main

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Does the xfrmr gound have to go to water main? i don;t even know where it is in the building as I only have drawinmg for area being renovated. Can't it go to building steel as well? Not sure there is steel. Don't have any structural drawings. Thanks.

1725988617775.png

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I don't recall exactly what the rule says but in at least some cases you can use the building steel as a bonding means to get to your ges.

You have to be careful about applying it in a legalistic sense but I doubt anyone actually does.

Maybe whomever did your drawings actually looked and found the building steel did not qualify.

Incidentally, I think there is a rule you have to bring it to the closest GE. I don't recall how it is worded off hand. The water pipe might not be the closest GE.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Does the xfrmr gound have to go to water main? i don;t even know where it is in the building as I only have drawinmg for area being renovated. Can't it go to building steel as well? Not sure there is steel. Don't have any structural drawings. Thanks.

View attachment 2573372
Well you have to know what type of building you're installing this in. If there is building steel then you would just run the GEC to that. If not then you'll have to find the water pipe. It should be fun getting 4-#2's in the 1/2" conduit.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Well you have to know what type of building you're installing this in. If there is building steel then you would just run the GEC to that. If not then you'll have to find the water pipe. It should be fun getting 4-#2's in the 1/2" conduit.
lol. Obviosy not foguring 1/2". I don't think #2 is correct anyway.