ground wire length

Status
Not open for further replies.
when terminating romex in a switch box, it is common to twist the grounds and buchannon crimp them together and cut off the ones you don't need. is it acceptable by the N.E.C. if the grounds that were cut do not extend 3" past the front of the box, since the grounds are crimped together does it count as one conductor?

mvannevel

Re: ground wire length

Originally posted by hoffman electric:
since the grounds are crimped together does it count as one conductor?
Crimped together or wire-nutted together, 314.16(B)(5) says they count as one. I've passed jobs where the grounds cut off are less than 3" beyond the box, but the preferable method is to leave them long enough to remake the splice if you ever have to take it apart.

redfish

Another good call Mr. benaround
flehan.gif
300.14 Length of Free Conductors at Outlets, Junctions, and Switch Points
At least 150 mm (6 in.) of free conductor, measured from the point in the box where it emerges from its raceway or cable sheath, shall be left at each outlet, junction, and switch point for splices or the connection of luminaires (fixtures) or devices. Where the opening to an outlet, junction, or switch point is less than 200 mm (8 in.) in any dimension, each conductor shall be long enough to extend at least 75 mm (3 in.) outside the opening.
Exception: Conductors that are not spliced or terminated at the outlet, junction, or switch point shall not be required to comply with 300.14.

macmikeman

300.14 really ought to get ammended to have the words "current carrying" inserted into the free conductor sentence. I have never been on any code making panels, but I can remember the scuttlebut about this one when it first hit the code book. The issue was the difficutly of device removal when the wires were cut short on purpose in order to fit everything including device back into the box. A lot of the oldtimers used to leave at best 2 " of free conductor when wiring switches and plugs. IMO , as far as the grounds go , once twisted up tight around each other with a ground crimp on, the rest of the ground wires ought to be allowed to be cut short as long as one of them is still 6" long.

physis

I think 300.14 requires 6 inches of conductor measured from where it emerges from the cable or raceway if it's terminated to the box or a device attached to it.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

The six inches is required to make the splices and device terminations. Is it still required after the splices or terminations are made?
Don

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

Originally posted by don_resqcapt19: Is it still required after the splices or terminations are made?
When did you become a trouble maker, Don? :D

My answer is "N/A." Once you make the connection to the device, you cannot cut the wire shorter than the required 6 inches, or else you will have disconnected the device. Then you have to reconnect the device, and you no longer have the required amount of free conductor.

physis

Is it still required after the splices or terminations are made?
Nope. :) That wouldn't be a "free conductor" anymore. ;)

Is Charlie right? Are you being a trouble maker Don?
icon10.gif

Is this a set up to say you can cut off 5" when you terminate the conductor?

paul

Originally posted by don_resqcapt19:
Is it still required after the splices or terminations are made?
Don
Code makes no reference to this, therefore, NOPE. 2" pigtails it is. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.