Grounded and Equipment Conductors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tanderson2100

I have a inspector that Red Tagged me for terminating the grounded and equipment conductors on the same buss in a 200 amp 240 volt service main panel of a house. The panel has two busses on each side of the panel connected by buss bar and the bonding screw on one side. The inspector said since the bonding screw is on one side and neutral conductor from the riser is on the other side even if there are connected by a buss the grounded conductor needs to be on the side thst the netural conductor is at and the grounding conductors on the side that the bonding screw is. Is there a code refrence too this.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Sounds as though the inspector is trying to enforce how he would do it not what the code requires.

Roger

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
That is funnier than the "on drugs" comment from the other day.

Glad that I was not there. I do not believe that I could kept from laughing in his face.

You sure that you didn't have a grounded conductor and an EGC under the same lug?

I am not doubting you, just making sure.

raider1

Staff member
Dennis you lost me.

200.2(B) prohibits the continuity of the grounded conductor from depending on a connection to a metallic enclosure, raceway or cable armor.

So if you have a ground bar that is just connected to the service enclosure you could not land the neutrals on that EGC bar.

Chris

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Dennis you lost me.
I think the inspector is thinking of the continuity of the grounded conductor not depending on the enclosure as a connection to the bar. In this case he is thinking the bond screw is the issue and he is wrong as the bracket between the bars makes the connection. I am just guessing that he is mixed up on that article-- I may be wrong but my guess anyway.

It should be 200.2 (B) not (A)-- that may be the confusion.

Thanks Chris-- you knew what I was thinking. :)

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
I think the inspector is thinking of the continuity of the grounded conductor not depending on the enclosure as a connection to the bar. In this case he is thinking the bond screw is the issue and he is wrong as the bracket between the bars makes the connection. I am just guessing that he is mixed up on that article-- I may be wrong but my guess anyway.

It should be 200.2 (B) not (A)-- that may be the confusion.

Thanks Chris-- you knew what I was thinking. :)

Now that makes sense. Never thought he may have been looking at it that way.

PS I knew what you meant. Just busting chops.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Maybe it's me but if an inspector misses something this simple then IMO they should find another line of work.

Status
Not open for further replies.