Grounded computer circuit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hillbilly

I'm working on a bathroom remodel in a older home. Yesterday as I was turning off circuits to the bath I noticed that I had also turned off the branch circuit that feeds the "home office" adjacent to the bath. After going into the basement I noticed that all of the existing wiring is 2 conductor NM . I informed the owner that her computer equipment was not grounded (although she does have 3 prong outlets :roll: ). She was suprised and said that she had had those receptacles grounded (by a "reputable" contractor no less). I pulled the covers and all that the sparky had done is install a grounding pigtail to the recepts. and clip it to the metal box. Since the boxes are not grounded, neither are the recepts. She said that she had lost a computer and printer recently because of lightning. She paid good money for this work and got shafted. Either the electrician did not know (or did not care) that the "fix" was totally useless. I know that I'm ranting, but it burns me up to see this kind of work attitude.
steve

dereckbc

Staff member
Re: Grounded computer circuit?

Hillbilly, you have a right to be surprized. Ryan gave you good advise. I do not think the lack of a grounded recept had anything to do with the lightning damage. That event was likely to be a differential mode event (L-N) where ground played no part.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

Is it possible she's not telling the truth about hiring an electrician? She may just be too embarrassed to admit she let a relative or friend do the work.

I guess I have more faith in a contractor than a client. I find it hard to believe that a good contractor would cheat that much. (Or am I the really gullable one here?)

Steve

jimwalker

Steve ,i find it hard to believe too.But in some unlicensed states/counties,being an electrician is a 15 minute stop at occupational license desk.
If she really hired an electrician she would want your help turning him in and getting her money back. :roll: :mad:

electricman2

Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor

A few years ago in my town a "contractor" bought some 37cent receptacles at the big orange, spray painted them orange and sold them as expensive IG receptacles. The AHJ advised him to never try to pull a permit in his jurisdiction again. Some people will do anything for a buck.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

John, you've got to give him two contradicting "A" grades, one for improvisation and one for being stupid. :D

Roger

jimwalker

I know that painting them orange was violation.
But in high end custom homes i have seen interior decorators paint devices,other than altering a UL listed device does the code forbid it specifically?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Jim do you know what an Isolated ground receptacle is? Painting the receptacle doesn't change the internal construction of the device, Isolate ground receptacles are more involved than just being orange. Paint is not the issue, we need to look at deception and thievery.

Roger

jimwalker

Yes roger i know the differance.My post said that.Yes that guy really has violated everything from code to trust.
My question only deals with customers painting my devices for looks.I would like to have an article number to tell them they can't.
Whats scary is how many other jobs has he done this in and not get caught.

[ February 20, 2004, 10:09 AM: Message edited by: jimwalker ]

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by jimwalker:
My question only deals with customers painting my devices for looks.I would like to have an article number to tell them they can't.
IMO this is not a violation if the paint does not get inside.

110.12(C) Integrity of Electrical Equipment and Connections. Internal parts of electrical equipment, including busbars, wiring terminals, insulators, and other surfaces, shall not be damaged or contaminated by foreign materials such as paint, plaster, cleaners, abrasives, or corrosive residues. There shall be no damaged parts that may adversely affect safe operation or mechanical strength of the equipment such as parts that are broken; bent; cut; or deteriorated by corrosion, chemical action, or overheating.
Others feel differently, who's right, the AHJ of course.

I have not seen any AHJ fail an installation due to painted devices, but it is in our contracts that if the painter does paint the devices or plates they buy new ones. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.