grounded conductor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rv3152

I first would like to say thanks for the info.I have two questions,I have a disconnect after the meter because of the location of the panel.Can I put the grounding conductor in the same pipe with the service conductors and what is the minimum size ground I can use for a 100amp service

iwire

Staff member
Re: grounded conductor

Yes, Exception No. 1 to 230.7 (2002 NEC) allows grounding conductors and bonding jumpers in the same raceway as service conductors.

Minimum grounding electrode conductor for a typical 100 amp service would be 8 copper or 6 aluminum as shown by Table 250.66

Would that not be paralling the conductor being that the gounded service conductor is your ground up to the 1st over current device theoritcally should I say. If the so called grounding conductor is connected at the meter in which it is with the grounded coductor. Then paralleled to the main over current disconnect in which it is attached to the equipment, then the grounded conductor is connected to the neutral bar which is bonded to the equipment with the main bonding jumper, haven't you paralled the grounded conductor. I think you have and you can. The sad part is I can't find the ART. right now. But the art says you can do this but the conductors have to be the same size, with the exception being it can be different sizes if the smaller one is large enough to carry the unbalance if the larger one is lost.

[ June 07, 2003, 12:18 AM: Message edited by: rasmithircgov.com ]

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

rv,
We need more details on your installation. What is the exact function of the grounding conductor that you are asking about? What is it connected to at each end?
Don

jro

All of your main grounding (cold water, ground rod, building steel, etc, #8 Thhn copper for 100 amp service) should be at the first point of disconnect, which would be at the main diconnect switch, after that the panel becomes a sub-panel where you would isolate the nuetral bar from your ground bar, the grounding to the sub panel would be either your conduit or a # 8 copper, #6 alumminum Art.250.118. :)

pierre

Hello guys,
Here is a perfect example of using the proper terminology, and having enough information to be able to answer the question. I am going to take a stab at it.

rv3152 uses the term 'grounding conductor'. Does he mean Grounding Electrode Conductor (GEC) or Equipment Grounding Conductor (EGC)?
If he means the GEC, that conductor is installed (usually) at the first point of disconnect, and the installer does not run it in the raceway to the panel after the disconnect(I am 'assuming the panel is not close enough for immediate entry location of service disconnect). The GEC is sized according to table 250.66 based on the size of the service entrance conductors, not the size of the service disconnect.
If he means EGC, then he can run the conductor in the raceway. But... the conductors on the load side of the service disconnect are not service conductors, the are feeder conductors. The point of running them in the raceway is moot. The EGC is sized to table 250.122 and is based on the size of the overcurrent protective device (fuse or circuit breaker).
I hope this helps,
Pierre

iwire

Staff member

pierre you are right about that, I made some assumptions :eek: when I gave my answer.

In the first part of his question I think he means EGC so it can be in the same raceway with service or feeder conductors.

In the second part it is the same answer from 250.66 or 250.122 for the "Typical" 100 amp service.

The only reason this would change is if he was using service conductors larger than 2 AWG copper or 1/0 AWG aluminum. That would be 3 sizes larger than Table 310.15(B)(6) requires I would say that is not likely.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.