Grounded Switches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

michael nye

Where in the code does it break down the method of grounding switches, when did it change and become code I've looked, but cannot find. Thankyou for any help

luke warmwater

Re: Grounded Switches.

1999 NEC 380-9(b)
The oldest book I have in front of me is 1993. I believe this is when it changed. 380-12...Metal face plates for snap switches shall be effectively grounded where used with a wiring method that includes or provides an equipment ground.

michael nye

Found it with the 380-12 but does this mean if it's a commercial application and the metal box is grounded then the switches do not need tailed as in an residential situation, thank's guy's.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

Michael-
Switches in a metal box do not need "tails" IE equipment grounding jumpers. The switch is not part of the ground fault current return path as a recptacle is, they need the tail or have to be self grounding.

mikeackley

Michael Nye:

Just FYI, if you found switch grounding provisions in in 380-12, that tells me you are using 1999 NEC. So that explains why your code book skips from 402-12 to 410 - because that's what 1999 NEC does.

All of the Article references we've been posting here are 2002 NEC. There have been major changes in the Article numbering scheme with 2002 so you are going to have a tough time following us with the 1999 book.

Status
Not open for further replies.