Grounding 2 Main Panels in 2 Family Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigbk718

Hey everyone. Recently had an electrician upgrade both main panels to accept more circuits since there wasn’t enough space in the old ones. Currently as I understand it, this is my set up: 1 service coming from pole to the house split into 2 meters (since it’s a 2 family house-1st floor and 2nd floor). From the meters it goes into 2 main panels in the basement (right behind the meters outside). There is 1 ground rod in the basement below the 2 main panels. There is a connection between the ground rod and the 1st main panel and then another connection between both panels. Both panels have the neutral and ground bonded.

Is this correct?

The electrician who was hired to do this didn’t spend much time here to inspect the work (employee did everything). An acquaintance of mine who is an electrician was over and took a quick glance and didn’t think it was correct. And of course I’ve also read many differing opinions on different forums.

I’d appreciate any input. Thanks!

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
As I understand your post, the install does not comply with 250.64(D) as each service panel needs to be connected to the grounding electrode or common electrode conductor.

Status
Not open for further replies.