grounding a conduit

Status
Not open for further replies.

wexley

I have installed a 3" conduit to supply a panel. It starts from the swith gear with the 1st 90 and 12" of conduit imbeaded it concrete. i had to use a short section of flex to enter the panel. My question is do i have to use grounding bushing on the supply side. i am not using concentric knock outs. Inpector says due to the fact i have used flex and its over 20 amps i must use grounding bushings. I cannot find it in the code.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
as far as the flex is concerned, he is correct (NEC 250.118{7}).
I [personally don't see where a bonding bushing would help, perhaps someone else does.
If he is concerned about bonding the conduit, I would think you would need a seperate means such as a pipe clamp & bond jumper.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
as far as the flex is concerned, he is correct (NEC 250.118{7}).
I [personally don't see where a bonding bushing would help, perhaps someone else does.
If he is concerned about bonding the conduit, I would think you would need a seperate means such as a pipe clamp & bond jumper.

I agree, since the flex does not qualify as an EGC installing a bonding bushing with a jumper will accomplish nothing. The flex connector is already bonded with the locknut. An external bonding means should be used.

iwire

Staff member
I agree, since the flex does not qualify as an EGC installing a bonding bushing with a jumper will accomplish nothing. The flex connector is already bonded with the locknut. An external bonding means should be used.

I also see it this way.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
Greg. It is, of course , possible that I'm looking at it incorrectly, but 250.96 requires metallic conduits be bonded. The flex would not be a recognized means to provide this on circuits greater than 20 amps so another method, such as an external bonding jumper, would be required (IMHO).

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
What if a separate EGC is pulled and there is no flex at the other end? Is there anything that says a conduit can't be bonded at its load end?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
What if a separate EGC is pulled and there is no flex at the other end? Is there anything that says a conduit can't be bonded at its load end?
not that I am aware.
from the original post it sounded to me like the run was non-metallic after the " 12" of conduit imbeaded it concrete." but that was an assumption on my part.

Status
Not open for further replies.