Grounding a guard shack supplied by a feeder

Status
Not open for further replies.

main197

Occupation
EE
We have a 16'x7.5' guard shack that will be supplied by a feeder. The feeder goes into a 480V-120/240V single phase transformer and then into a 125A panel. What are the grounding and bonding requirements?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
If I am understanding this correctly, I will need a grounding electrode both at the transformer and at the panel?
How far apart are they? If in one structure, only one electrode system is needed, land in one or the other.

If you have separate structures and electrode systems for each one, only earth may interconnect them.

Dsg319

Occupation
Wv Master “lectrician”
Even if his transformer is remote from the guard shack. If he’s has his main bonding jumper installed the the panel and not the transformer, can he get away with just the grounding electrode at the shack?

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Even if his transformer is remote from the guard shack. If he’s has his main bonding jumper installed the the panel and not the transformer, can he get away with just the grounding electrode at the shack?
I don't believe so.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I wasn’t sure I need to brush up in this area myself. So if the transformer is say 100’ from shack he’s stuck with having grounding electrode system there and his guard shack.
Why would you think so, and why would you think not?

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
But is there anything that says you can't double dip on a single set of electrodes for each thing that has a grounding requirement?
Not at all. Any electrodes that are close enough to tie together should be tied together . . . except when doing so would directly (not through earth) tie two different points of the neutral conductor together.

Status
Not open for further replies.