grounding and bonding a ungrounded system 250.30(B)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really screwy install that has me confused. We are getting a machine (made in Japan, modified in the USA) that uses a transformer to step 3 phase 480 down to 3 phase 208. I bring 480 into the machine to a factory installed breaker. Factory wiring takes the 480 to the transformer, which steps it down to 208. Then factory wiring takes it back to the machine.

Now they are using a delta/wye transformer to accomplish this, but they are not using a neutral. Strictly 3 phase 208 on the supply side. Do I need to bond the XO terminal? It is not being used. I know on a delta/delta you wouldn't, which is the way this transformer is being used.

Do I install a System Bonding Jumper and a GEC, since the Neutral there buy not being used? Or do I just install a EGC? I know right now where the machine is in operation and being modified, they just have an EGC going from the machine to the transformer.

250.30(B) Ungrounded Systems says it a GEC needs to be installed and used to connect the metal enclosures of the derived system. The connection should be made at any point on the separately derived system from the source to the first system disconnecting means.

I have over thought this and confused myself. If I hit the transformer first, I think I need to follow 2150.30(B) and install a GEC. But I don't, the transformer is part of a listed machine, so that is what confuses me. Makes sense?

Here is a picture of how the transformer is wired now. We took a field trip to look at the machine. Yes, I will clean up the terminations when it gets here.

transformer.jpg transformer.jpg

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Best answer is probably: "What Transformer ? " "I didn't notice that" :)
I would not personally hang my hat on the "listing". If it was manufactured in Japan and altered in the US, I would be suspect of it having a valid NRTL listing.
250.20 would seemingly call for XO to be grounded but one could argue if this is "premises wiring".
Can you pose the question to the manufacturer or modifier as to why XO is not grounded ?

Status
Not open for further replies.