Grounding and Bonding - Industrial

scrub12

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
In addition to the EGC being ran with branch circuits to panels and loads downstream of service entrance equipment - I've often seen supplemental bonding to building steel or ground in addition to the EGC ran with the branch circuits. Is this supplemental ground required by NEC? In other words, do panels and motors specifically need an additional ground conductor connected to the building grounding system in addition to the EGC run with the branch circuit? I've also seen MCC's bonded together. Is this a code requirement or just a supplemental good to do to make sure all conductive material stays at the same potential?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Neither is NEC required but seemingly commonplace in some large industrial installations,.

bobby ocampo

In addition to the EGC being ran with branch circuits to panels and loads downstream of service entrance equipment - I've often seen supplemental bonding to building steel or ground in addition to the EGC ran with the branch circuits. Is this supplemental ground required by NEC? In other words, do panels and motors specifically need an additional ground conductor connected to the building grounding system in addition to the EGC run with the branch circuit? I've also seen MCC's bonded together. Is this a code requirement or just a supplemental good to do to make sure all conductive material stays at the same potential?
Supplemental bonding is based on equivalent impedance of two parallel conductors. Kirchhoff's current law of parallel conductors.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
It is a practice left over from when most industrial systems were ungrounded systems. There is no code or technical reason to provide the extra grounding paths.

scrub12

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
It is a practice left over from when most industrial systems were ungrounded systems. There is no code or technical reason to provide the extra grounding paths.
Thanks. Would it be a code violation since it provides a parallel path for ground fault current back to source?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Parallel equipment grounding paths are not a code violation.

I agree, with the exception of 250.6 you cannot "over ground" something. Running multiple EGC's, connecting to the building steel, installing additional ground rods for equipment, all are permitted.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I agree, with the exception of 250.6 you cannot "over ground" something. Running multiple EGC's, connecting to the building steel, installing additional ground rods for equipment, all are permitted.
The only time 250.6 is an issue is where you have multiple points of connection between the grounded conductor and the EGCs or the earth.