Grounding and Bonding of a Hot Tub for Animals in a Zoo

Status
Not open for further replies.

mhernandez

Quick question,

I have a project that consist of a new Zoo exhibit for monkeys and the exhibit architect is designing an in-ground, "hot tub", (technically a small pool with a heater), for the monkeys. Around it, they will have what they call "hot rock" surfaces which are pieces of shotcrete with radiant heating cables inside to heat the surface.

NEC article 680.27.C.3 indicates that radiant heating cables are not permitted on the deck area.

Is it wrong to consider these "hot rock" surfaces as not deck areas? Or should i just tell the exhibit architect that he cannot heat any surfaces within 20' of the inside wall of the tub with radiant heating cables?

Also, does this article only applies to swimming pools or my kind of hot tub falls under this article also?

Im just trying to understand the true purpose of the article.

Thanks!

Ohms law

I wonder if this project would be considered under Art. 682 Natural and Artificially Made Bodies of Water
My argument would be it is an artificial pond for an artificial environment. I do not have enough experience with construction of bodies of water in a artificial habitat, this is only my opinion and my interpretation of the code.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

mhernandez

I wonder if this project would be considered under Art. 682 Natural and Artificially Made Bodies of Water
My argument would be it is an artificial pond for an artificial environment. I do not have enough experience with construction of bodies of water in a artificial habitat, this is only my opinion and my interpretation of the code.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Thanks for you reply.

We were thinking the same way but to complicate it a little more, we are in Chicago and Chicago electrical code doesn't have article 682 for natural and artificially made bodies of water. The inspector is telling me that it all depends on how the architect and us define this "pool" as. (pool, hot tub, etc.) I'm trying to understand the reasoning behind the prohibition of radiant heating cables in a deck if the surface is cover and sealed. Thanks all.

Status
Not open for further replies.