Grounding at the meter socket

Status
Not open for further replies.

DIYBamaGuy

New User
Occupation
Retired Engineer
My situation. Power Company requires that the ground rod terminate outside in the meter socket. I have a back to back Main service breaker panel inside connected to the meter base by ridged conduit. I have ran 3 wires, 2 hot and neutral, from meter socket to Main breaker panel. The panel I am using is a Square D Homeline Snap on Neutral panel. It does not have separate ground and neutrail bus bars installed. So my questions are:

1. Is my Main service breaker panel considered a service disconnect or a sub panel?
2. If it is a Service Disconnect,
a) is it ok to terminate my circuit grounds and neutrals on the same bus bars In that panel even though the ground rod is terminated at the meter socket?
b) do I install the green bonding screw?
3. If it is a sub panel,
a) I assume I need to add separate ground bus bars in the Main service breaker panel, correct?
b) I would also think I would need to run a separate ground wire between the meter and panel but there is no place to terminate it inside the meter socket. Is this correct thinking and suggestions on terminating it in Meter socket?
c). No green bonding screw, correct.

Thanks for any help and suggestions provided.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I am closing this thread in accordance with forum rules. If you are not an electrician, we are not permitted to assist you in performing your own electrical installation or maintenance work.

The reason is that the forum’s owner does not want a person to get an answer to the question they asked, but not get answers to the dozens of other questions they should have asked and were unaware they needed to ask. An engineer is less of a risk in that category, still Mike doesn’t want anyone to get injured by any incidents related to electrical installations.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Your post is a poster child why we do not allow DIY posts. Hire a electrical contractor, get a permit and inspection, it may very well save your life or building.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.