Grounding/Bonding for Liquid Storage Tanks - Gas Industry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Background: My firm does Well-Pad Layout for the Gas Industry. These sites will typically have a storage tank(s) to collect what they would call flowback water which is typically pretty hazardous/flammable. In our design, we typically provide a site grounding/bonding system for the entire site. At the storage tanks, we would typically provide a ring around the containment wall, rods at opposite corners, pipe grounding clamps on intake piping, etc. The tanks are often a polyethylene tank that includes a ground kit which we also connect to. Even though the tanks are not metal, you could still get static discharge on the tanks, hence why we make provisions to bond them to earth ground.

Question: We are engaged with a client that has always placed a copper wire (#6) into the liquid itself and connected to the platform per say. The explanation I get from them is they like to have a mechanism to dissipate any potential static buildup within the tank from the liquid..?

So - Has anyone ever heard of placing a copper wire into a flammable liquid of a tank as part of a grounding/bonding system?? I just can't wrap my head around what that is actually doing. Appreciate any feedback.

PSU Electrical

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
A plate or fitting attached solidly to the inside of the tank near the bottom and bonded could be less of a maintenance issue, but harder to install initially.

Tapatalk!

Status
Not open for further replies.