Grounding/Bonding in new meter disconnect

Davezaino1968

Occupation
General Foreman
1000007167.jpg 1000007167.jpg
I'm going in circles with my NEC book, trying to figure out how to properly ground and bond my service entrance meter disconnect panel. The neutral bar is grounded to the cabinet (not isolated) and there's a tag inside the meter utility portion that says I need to ground inside this area. Do I merely need to install a ground lug and connect to the neutral bus, then attach my gec to my subpanel and electrodes? WA state resident.

Davezaino1968

Occupation
General Foreman
I agree. Is it possible that the label is pointing to something that isn't visible in the photo? Where is the fifth jaw for the neutral.
It appears seimens is using the neutral buss as the landing spot for service entrance which is the upper lug in the meter compartment. Non accessible once power company locks the upper cover with meter ring.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Agreed. That metal piece spot-welded to the back plate appears to be no more substantial than the lug welded to the enclosure for the screw at the bottom of the inner cover.

Maybe it's just a warning that there is a grounded object close to the load-side jaws. There is a label I can't quite read on the right side of the meter jaws.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
I installed one of those this week, EMC so they would have allowed it in sealed compartment but didn't notice convenient hole to run wire thru (didn't look too hard), I just hooked ground in lower compartment

I don't think has been inspected yet, if I'da been worried would have scraped label off

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
That tag is meaning the GEC and the arrow is pointing to where it should land. I don't see a lug, so it would have to be added. Also, the POCO would have to allow it. All the POCOs I deal with except one, want the GEC in the meter. Even the one that doesn't, will allow it in this type meter-main.